Pickups for strat-like w/ .013-.056 flatwounds?

Cloacal-X

• Members

Okay, so this is a repost from TGP, who didn't give me a single response (how lame is that?). Yeah, I know it's long, but there's a story in here, so stay with me!

So I've got this EBMM Albert Lee, and playability-wise, I love it. But I'm on my 3rd set of pickups for it right now, and I can't seem to find something I like.

The first set were the stock pickups, Seymour Duncan APS-IIs, with a small baseplate on the bridge. These were actually pretty good, but were more twang than chime, and chime was what I was after.

I scored a good price on some EMG-SVs, which was actually pretty convenient since the EBMM has a battery compartment for their "silent circuit". Well, I liked the tone on any single pickup pretty well, but multiple combinations didn't sound very good, the preamps were slightly lacking in headroom, and the output was actually not that high.

So then I got what I thought were a set of Fralin Real 54s on ebay. Well, they weren't Real 54s w/ baseplate, they are almost definitely Fralins (haven't gotten confirmation from the man himself, but I've seen many sets and these do appear to be the genuine article), but they are probably the "high output" set. Actually, at the time I was still strung up w/ 10-46s rounds, and the AL was my only "good" guitar so I liked that they were a little bit beefier-sounding because they were more tonally versatile that way.

But now, I've got these thick flatwounds on the guitar, and I am in love with the feel and the tone of the strings - the flats are not coming off. However, the sound now is so dull and I have since acquired a Hamer Studio w/ 2 SD 59s (which actually I eventually want to replace as well but that's a story for another day), so I have no need for hotter pickups from the AL anymore.

Which brings us to the present. I'm kind of thinking that the flatwounds really need a bright pickup to capture every last bit of the upper harmonics possible, and since they are so massive they produce a lot of energy, so I could deal with some underwound pickups. I know that with flats, I'm never going to have a bright, jangly, chimey tone. That's fine, I actually have another 3x single coil I've got 10s and Lace Alumitones on, and that thing sounds awesome despite being a cheap $200 plastic (!!) guitar.

I am a big fan of low-noise pickups, and I don't care about being vintage-accurate - I just want good sounding pickups. The choices I've explored are:

Lollar Blondes(bridge baseplate)

Fralin Real 54s (bridge baseplate)

Dimarzio Areas (either 58-58-61, or maybe 58-61-VV 54 Pro)

Kinmans (which set?)

Lace (Alumitone, probably).

The Lollars and the Fralins both kind of have that vintage thing going on, but more importantly they're two very bright pickups.

I've heard awesome things about the Dimarzios, the only thing that worries me is that I won't find a match for the bridge pickup's sound w/ the baseplate. I love the baseplate. I figure maybe the 54 pro might help to get closer to that sound...but maybe it'll just sound hotter.

The kinmans sort of seem like Dimarzio Areas (construction-wise), but more expensive. Not sure why I'd get these, but maybe somebody knows something I don't.

I love the lace alumitones, but I've already got 'em in one guitar. The main disadvantage here is that you have to cut the pickguard to install them, and so far I don't have the best track record for retaining pickups in this guitar. So I'd have to buy another pickguard - oh, they also don't sound quite as complex, and the bridge pickup thing is in effect - no way to make it sound like it's got a baseplate.

So...who wants to weigh in here?

• Members

Have you tried Van Zandt pickups? They only make one set for a tele, but they are quite amazing. Their strat pickups are also top notch.

I'd also look into Joe Barden if you haven't.

• Members

Have you tried Van Zandt pickups? They only make one set for a tele, but they are quite amazing. Their strat pickups are also top notch.

I'd also look into Joe Barden if you haven't.

I've heard of Van Zandt, and I've heard good things. With so many people making these boutique pickups with not much tangible to separate them, I'm really hesitant to choose one set over another, i.e. Van Zandt over Lollar or Fralin. I can't really see what the difference is, how many ways can you scatter-wound formvar or enamel wire around a fiber bobbin with alnico polepieces?

As far as the Bardens go, they're very expensive but also highly praised. Again, I can't tell what separates them from any other SC-sized blade humbucker. I've inquired before actually because they do interest me, but I've not really gotten anywhere.

• Members

Fralins have plenty of chime. I have a set of vintage hots in my strat. Try adjusting the height a little lower. There are plenty of clips over at the acme guitar works site. BTW, you didnt mention what amp you're using. I would also recommend good cables (Im using Fulltone) and minimal effects on the front end.

• Members

Thanks Kelly - but the neck pup is already almost flush with the pickguard, and the SNR kinda sucks with the pickups this far away. My set is basically like vintage hots, but like 15% overwound and with 43 gauge wire. TBH not my ideal set, but it sounded decent when I didn't have a HB-equipped guitar to get thick tones from.

• Members
Thanks Kelly - but the neck pup is already almost flush with the pickguard, and the SNR kinda sucks with the pickups this far away. My set is basically like vintage hots, but like 15% overwound and with 43 gauge wire. TBH not my ideal set, but it sounded decent when I didn't have a HB-equipped guitar to get thick tones from.

I have a sp43 in the bridge. It definitely does not have the chime that the vintage hots in the neck and middle do.

• Members

It sounds like you have a pricier pallete than me, but from my budget pickup experience the stock HB from the Squier '51's are quite bright...That may be just the ticket for those strings. The one after-market pickup that I have found to be quite bright & chimey is the GFS ProTube HB.

Also, you might consider installing higher resistance pots (500k or 1meg) to squeeze out even more highs.

• Members

I've heard of Van Zandt, and I've heard good things. With so many people making these boutique pickups with not much tangible to separate them, I'm really hesitant to choose one set over another, i.e. Van Zandt over Lollar or Fralin. I can't really see what the difference is, how many ways can you scatter-wound formvar or enamel wire around a fiber bobbin with alnico polepieces?

As far as the Bardens go, they're very expensive but also highly praised. Again, I can't tell what separates them from any other SC-sized blade humbucker. I've inquired before actually because they do interest me, but I've not really gotten anywhere.

Van Zandt has been around for longer than most of these 'botique vintage' pickup makers. I highly recommend them, they sound like they may be just what you are after.

• Members
I'm confused - are you implying that I can't get any more mellow than those strings, or the contrary?

I'm implying that heavier strings require a heavier hand... in my experience.

Don't take my response as critical. I was serious. If you can do it, GREAT! :thu:

• Members

Oh, yeah - well, I don't have really strong hands or anything, honestly I just use this guitar when I want to do really clean melodic stuff where you want a strong fundamental and clear note separation. Single coils with large flatwounds are an awesome combination for that. :)

Archived