EMG, Dimarzio, or Duncan for Ibanez RG2020xtb?

pierce34celtic

• Members

What sorts of tones does it do best? Does it sound good clean if its tapped? Can it get a good metal tone as well?

Well, I don't tap it often or use it for cleans. I prefer neck and middle pickups for clean and strat tones but it certainly works. It can definitely get heavy but don't expect scooped tones, there's just so much mids.

I'm not sure what it does best, but I do know its perfect for what I play. I do a lot of jam band and fusion stuff so I use it for smooth leads mostly. The air norton is great for the real smooth stuff, but when I want it more gritty I use the TZ. Its great, because there's definitely bore bite and balls but it never looses the smoothness

• Members

In all seriousness, it's not going to matter who made the passive pickup, Dimarzio's don't excel at shred and Duncan's aren't the be-all of riffage. It's going to come down to picking a pickup from either company that serves your needs for tone/feel and sounds good in your guitar.

Some of my favorite combo's in various types of guitars...

Mahogany S-series or Mahogany Les Paul: A JB/Jazz combo is incredible. Lots of punch, lots of bite but sounds really nice. No fizz. Put the same combo in my Alder Jackson and it sucks ass.

Alder or Swamp ash guitar: Tend to be brighter sounding so go for something like a Dimarzio Tone Zone or Super D (My favorite in my Jackson) with either an Air Norton or a Humbucker from Hell in the neck. The Jazz also works well in the neck but is a bit thin sounding.

A Duncan Custom or Full shred is a good way to go, as is something like a beefed up PAF style pickup if you're wanting less output. Since you want to play riffage I'd say go with the JB/'59 combo. In a mahogany guitar that'll sound nice and heavy with all sorts of definition.

Really you can't go wrong with either brand, but you need to figure out if you have a bright or dark guitar to begin with because the pickup will either make it worse or more balanced.

• Members

If I was going to use the bridge pickup for metal tones, something along the lines of Metallica, Megadeth, Hammerfall, etc and leads, what would be the top choices?

That's about 90% your amp and the rest is the combination of pickup, guitar, playing style, etc. If you have an amp like a Boogie Mark series or something similar you shouldn't have a problem with any medium to high output pickup.

• Members

you could match the tones of all the bands u mentioned with pretty much any of the suggested pickups depending on your amp

unless u have the same amp and effects rig its no good trying to match a bands tone simply by naming a pickup.

it will be easy enough for you to find a guitar at your local store that comes with the active EMGs and duncan JB/jazz etc... so go down, pick one up and ask to test it on the amp you own...

either way stay clear of the EMG passive HZ's - they are muddy in the low end and not very sensitive to taps and artificial harmonics...

EDIT : it seems on your other guitars you already have the active EMGs so you must know how they sound... try them on a mesa boogie triple rectifier or similar amp and you'll find the tones your after

• Members

In all seriousness, it's not going to matter who made the passive pickup, Dimarzio's don't excel at shred and Duncan's aren't the be-all of riffage. It's going to come down to picking a pickup from either company that serves your needs for tone/feel and sounds good in your guitar.

Some of my favorite combo's in various types of guitars...

Mahogany S-series or Mahogany Les Paul: A JB/Jazz combo is incredible. Lots of punch, lots of bite but sounds really nice. No fizz. Put the same combo in my Alder Jackson and it sucks ass.

Alder or Swamp ash guitar: Tend to be brighter sounding so go for something like a Dimarzio Tone Zone or Super D (My favorite in my Jackson) with either an Air Norton or a Humbucker from Hell in the neck. The Jazz also works well in the neck but is a bit thin sounding.

A Duncan Custom or Full shred is a good way to go, as is something like a beefed up PAF style pickup if you're wanting less output. Since you want to play riffage I'd say go with the JB/'59 combo. In a mahogany guitar that'll sound nice and heavy with all sorts of definition.

Really you can't go wrong with either brand, but you need to figure out if you have a bright or dark guitar to begin with because the pickup will either make it worse or more balanced.

Would the Jazz sound any better than the 59? I had a JB before in my Schecter, but I hear that it can be picky about certain guitars, even if they're the same body wood.

Archived