soldering iron temperature?

Leftovercrack

• Members

so my sister bought me a digital soldering iron for my bday because she knows i like to mess around with that sort of stuff, the only thing is that you set it according to temperature to how hot you want it. what is a good temperature for soldering in pick ups and working on pedals?

• Moderators

so my sister bought me a digital soldering iron for my bday because she knows i like to mess around with that sort of stuff, the only thing is that you set it according to temperature to how hot you want it. what is a good temperature for soldering in pick ups and working on pedals?

I usually go with something around the melting temperature of solder:thu:

• Members

Temperature-controlled soldering station:

A temperature-controlled soldering station is a complete unit usually used for soldering electronic components, and consisting of an electrical power supply, a soldering iron, and is different for lead-based and lead-free solders. Lead-based solder uses 250

• Members

Start off at around 700F and tweak it from there. When soldering any joint, you want it to be all finished in around 5 seconds to avoid melting wire insulation, overheating delicate parts, etc. Soldering to the back of a volume pot will take a little longer to heat up, but soldering a pickup lead to a switch should only take a second or two to heat and melt through completely.

I like to have a small moist sponge or paper towel to wipe the oxidation off the tip. Keep a light coating of solder on the working tip also - it prevents oxidation of the tip's plating and wets the joint with melted solder when you begin heating the joint. A good mechanical bend of the wire joint also helps things heat evenly (I generally make a J-hook).

Wash your hands thoroughly afterward before you eat or smoke.

Archived