Darn Strings

Joranges

• Members

I've been messing around with my Squier '51 lately. The high E string always goes out of tune. I always have to tighten it every two minutes or so. In the last three days, I've broken three high E strings. :o

Argh. :mad: Wth, I never break this many strings.

• Members

One problem I've noticed with top loaders is the low break angle over the bridge (compared to string-thrus) can increase the tension on the windings at the ball-end of the string, the high E in particular.

I've had the same problem with D'addarios in my Squier Tele that I put brass barrel saddles on. Take a look at the windings by the ball end and see if they are coming loose and tightening towards the end. Is that the area where the string is breaking?

I just started soldering the string end on the high E and haven't had a problem since. It is a PITA.:freak:

I haven't had that problem on my 51 yet, but I can't remember what kind of strings I put on that last time.

• Members

It snaps at the peg; which I'm not all that surprised at since that's where my strings usually break anyways (during tuning). (With a couple exceptions where it breaks right in the middle of strumming..)

I think I'm just going to use a thicker gauge next time I need to change all the strings. :o

I really don't understand why it's giving me so much trouble, on average I do break the high E (followed by G..) string the most and I usually break a high E string here and again from yanking on it too hard but four times, while tuning is a bit excessive to me. :o And the {censored}er won't even stay in tune for more than a verse and a chorus.

Anyways, fourth string; better not break on me or I'm going to sell this piece of junk. :mad:

Archived