Those cheap SX Teles...

EveryMn

• Members

Yeah, I guess so. I have 2 SX guitars and never seen one of their teles in person, but I would assume that it's also a decent guitar and good for teh m0dz. :)

Price depends on the pups, they don't have to be more expensive! :thu:

The stock pickups in my strat clone were actually not bad, and the P90s in my SJM were fine.

• Members

I haven't felt the need to change the pups in either of my SX guitars.

As for if Staggs come out of the SX factory, from what I've heard about Staggs, I doubt it. SX guitars are such good guitars compared to everything I've heard about Stagg guitars.......wish they were as good, they do make a few nice lookers.

• Members

You can read all about mine here, The SXquire.

sx_quire.jpg

As you can tell, I modded mine into a Esquire. Using the SX as a modding platform is a bit tricky since most parts aren't a direct fit. If you know what you're doing though you can make most anything work. Upgrading the wiring and pots makes a huge difference in these guitars, particularly if you want to do volume/tone swells.

• Members
I have the powder blue tele.

I LOVE the neck. Great fret ends, straight, beautiful. Im not too crazy about the pickups for some reason, just a funny vibe for me. Prolly change them out eventually.

Do you have the Stl-50 or Stl-62? I've got the 62. I like the clean sound of
the neck PUP a lot. The powder blue looks good with black PG, IMO. If
Rondo put out an SST-57 in black with black PG, I'd be GASsing hard.
(That David Gilmour look) You listening, Kurt?:love:

• Members
Do you have the Stl-50 or Stl-62? I've got the 62. I like the clean sound of

the neck PUP a lot. The powder blue looks good with black PG, IMO. If

Rondo put out an SST-57 in black with black PG, I'd be GASsing hard.

(That David Gilmour look) You listening, Kurt?
:love:

Gosh, i dont know which it is, im thinking the 50. here is a pic, its an old crappy camera, so the color is like the web site, not like what you see here. I guess now they have maple necks, but i dont mind mine. I do like the black pickguard.

guitar001-2.jpg

• Members
Gosh, i dont know which it is, im thinking the 50. here is a pic, its an old crappy camera, so the color is like the web site, not like what you see here. I guess now they have maple necks, but i dont mind mine. I do like the black pickguard.

guitar001-2.jpg

That's the STL-62, same as mine.

• Members

I like mine a lot. The tuners stink (and don't tell me it's the nut, I cut new nuts on all my cheap guitars, I know the difference). They hold tune fine, but have a lot of slop in the gears. Not really bad enough to make me want to change them, but they certainly feel cheap.

I don't usually like thick finished necks, but for whatever reason I really like this one. They feel sticky at first, but personally I think that's grime and such that can be removed. I polished my neck with some swirl mark remover, and although it's still a thick glossy finish it doesn't feel sticky any more, it feels more like glassy smooth like when you can run your fingers over freshly cleaned glass without any resistance or sticking. I'm sure it will build up again, but polishing it once in a while isn't the worst thing in the world.

While we're on the subject of the neck, it has one of the nicest, most comfortable profiles I've come across. All quality and hardware considerations aside, it just has a great shape to it.

Mine needed the frets leveled and I cut a new graphite nut for it, and it plays smooth and easy. I don't mind the bridge, it seems solid, and the pickups aren't terrible but I'll probably swap in some GFS for fun sooner or later.

They are what they are, a solid cheap guitar that's good if you can do some work and possibly make some upgrades, but don't expect something out of them they can't deliver. Once in a while one just comes together perfectly at the factory that day, but more often than not they'll need some work.

Telewhole.jpg

Telelong.jpg

• Members

Me too, it's classy. :cool: It looks WAY better in person than the hideous Rondo pic on the site. I bought it used from a forumite and he had pics of it, if I had only the Rondo pics to go off of I never would have bought this color.

I mean, just look at this, it doesn't look anything like it. The color's all yellowed and the neck is tinted so dark it's almost orange. Blech.

stl50vwh1.jpg

Archived