Digitech GSP1101

clarky

• Members

any of you guys tried one out yet...???

just curious really...

I've been curious to try one and it looks like I'll be able to reasonably soon now..

so have any of you tried one, if so what did you think??

• Members

Looked at the features...the deal breaker for me are the poor EQ options.

Just a 3-band parametric EQ per patch...and hardcoded to be AFTER the amp sim. I found much better results putting EQ before the amp, especially for hi-gain patches.

I wouldn't buy it, just because of that. EQ is critical for properly shaping your sounds, particularly for digital modellers.

It may be good just an external FX unit with an existing amp though.

• Members

Looked at the features...the deal breaker for me are the poor EQ options.

Just a 3-band parametric EQ per patch...and hardcoded to be AFTER the amp sim. I found much better results putting EQ before the amp, especially for hi-gain patches.

I wouldn't buy it, just because of that. EQ is critical for properly shaping your sounds, particularly for digital modellers.

It may be good just an external FX unit with an existing amp though.

I downloaded and read the manual..

and the 3-band para worried me too..

I use the 2120 and that has a 10-band graphic there - and if that's not enough there are more EQ options you can call up later.. like stereo para / graphics etc..

that said, it has bass, mid, terb, pres like an amp in the modelling, and then the para afterwards...

so I imagine the para wuold be used to cut neusence freqs more than anything else... so there is some amount of eq power there over all..

I was also put off a little at the lack of options in the digital stage post pre-amp.. like the pitch shifters being mono only, only one delay, one reverb

so you can have both a short and long delay at the same time..

the chorus, phaser, flanger, pitch shift, harmoniser etc look like they are all FX that occupy the same option.. so you can have only have one of these in a patch.. so pitch shift and phaser together are not an option..

it just seems really limited and not very configurable when compared to the 2120 - which is a true monster of a unit..

I must say that I was dissappointed at what I read...

I'm wondering if it was designed this way to make it more intuitive to use but cutting back on the configurability..

and also maybe because the DSP's are working harder in the pre-amp stage on all that modelling stuff - which is a massive set of options - that something had to go cos they'll simply run out of horse power..

I dunno really...

but I've been looking forward to a new all conquering unit

hoping for something like a "best of both" 2120 / GNX3000 hybrid that takes all the most powerful attributes of both and slings them together to create a world class rack unit...

and I read the manual and thought

"jeez... is that it??"

cos it looks more like a bedroom toy from a capabilities point of view..

in that price range, the GT Pro is looking like a far superior unit - at least from what I've read in the manual..

that said, I've not actually heard the GSP1101 so there is every chance that it sounds killer...

the pre-amp stage has gone modelling crazy.. and looks very cool...

it's the limitations in the digital stage and the expression pedals that bothered me the most..

I just wondered if any of you guys have tried one yet...

I'm going to try one anyhow

• Members

The problem with the Boss GT products is that their distortion SUCK EGGS.

I've heard enough samples on bossgtcentral.com of the GT8 and not a single one...not one...was even remotely exciting.

They're good for clean, crunch, etc...but high-gain, forget it...Boss COSM modelling is light years behind anyone else.

People have reported good results with the GT8 (which is very flexible in terms of FX) and an external distortion unit placed in its FX loop.

Archived