Stretching New Strings...Your technique

OGG

• Members

So, what are some of the techniques you guys use to stretch out a new set of strings in order to get the best tuning stability???

I'm curious as to some of the different ideas that may be floating around.

OGG

• Members

I pull on them with one hand while I'm winding with the other to make sure there are no loose windings on the tuners. Once I get them close to pitch, I pull up each string about 2 or 3 inches right around the end of the neck. Then tune again. Then pull on each string again, and retune. Once they are staying pretty much in tune, I'll play hard, doing a lot of bends on each string all over the fretboard. Then retune. That's usually enough to stretch them out.

• Members

I pull on them with one hand while I'm winding with the other to make sure there are no loose windings on the tuners. Once I get them close to pitch, I pull up each string about 2 or 3 inches right around the end of the neck. Then tune again. Then pull on each string again, and retune. Once they are staying pretty much in tune, I'll play hard, doing a lot of bends on each string all over the fretboard. Then retune. That's usually enough to stretch them out.

Ditto.

Although I might stretch at the end of the neck a couple of times more.

I had a rough time when I was trying to put .11s on my old Ibanez GSA and tuning it to drop B... They wouldn't stay in tune, the bitches! :p

But I haven't got a single problem with my SG with .10's. I do use a really sharp pencil to put some carbon in those nut slots each string change, it really helped a lot.

• Members

After I get all the strings on and tuned up, I grab each string at the first fret and pull it up vertically off the fretboard, moving down the fretboard to the bridge continuing to do this. After doing this to all the strings, I retune and repeat a couple times. Then I do some big bends and hard picking for a couple minutes, put it down, let the guitar sit there overnight and it's ready to go the next day.

• Members

I grab the string at the 12th fret, stretch it into a "z" shape parallel to the fretboard using all four fingers and my thump. I stretch them very hard, in fact I busted a few strings before learning just how hard to stretch them.

Archived