Help me decide.. Squire, MIM, or American Strat

moestock

• Members

I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio for $1K, I know I want a strat for that single coil sound, and I'm so very tempted to buy a Squire, maybe even a used one that I can afford right now. OR save up for a MIM Deluxe players strat for $600, I like this one because of the noiseless pickups, I'll be using whatever strat I get for recording. Or perhaps I should save up even more and buy an American Strat?

I really want those noiseless pups for recording, a used squire + ~$120pickups without the hum will be alot cheaper.

I know its my call but I'm just looking for opinions/advice here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Members

If you want the true sound of a Strat, bite the bullet and buy a Strat with regular single coil pups, not the noiseless type.

Shield it, and "learn to turn" to find the "quiet spot" while recording. You'll understand what this means when you own your first single coil guitar. ;)

A good used MIM Standard Strat will cost you around $250-$300. Find a stock one that hasn't been screwed with; spend some money to shield it, then replace the stock saddles, string trees and nut with Graph-tech replacements, set it up properly, and you're ready to start your Strat journey.

• Members
If you want the true sound of a Strat, bite the bullet and buy a Strat with regular single coil pups, not the noiseless type.

Shield it, and "learn to turn" to find the "quiet spot" while recording. You'll understand what this means when you own your first single coil guitar.
;)

A good used MIM Standard Strat will cost you around $250-$300. Find a stock one that hasn't been screwed with; spend some money to shield it, then replace the stock saddles, string trees and nut with Graph-tech replacements, set it up properly, and you're ready to start your Strat journey.

I've been playing for over 20 years, mostly accoustic, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know what "shield it" means. I'm building up my gear to start recording and havent even started on the little studio I have in mind yet.

What I'm getting so far is to NOT buy a squire, go for an MIM fender with regular pickups and I can get it quiet enough for recording?

• Members

I've been playing for over 20 years, mostly accoustic, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know what "shield it" means. I'm building up my gear to start recording and havent even started on the little studio I have in mind yet.

What I'm getting so far is to NOT buy a squire, go for an MIM fender with regular pickups and I can get it quiet enough for recording?

Here's a great introduction to shielding a Stratocaster :

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

There are some pretty nice Squiers (the Squier 51 comes to mind), but if you want a Strat you'll never have to apologize for or feel somewhat "embarrassed to play in front of other musicians" (I know... snobby... but it's the truth), I think you'd be miles ahead of the game buying a genuine Fender MIM Strat, new or used. FWIW.

• Members

(IMO shielding isn't worth the money/time.. more so the time than the money really...)

You could find a American for $600. Actually, you definitely could. :freak:

It's when you put copper? foil over the body cavity, same with what's under the pickguard.

Ta-dah:

copper_guitar_stratocaster_shielding.jpg

Archived