Is a car radio control knob hard to repair?

• Members

Anyone know anything about this?

My car radio has one multi-function digital rotary control knob, that, also functions as a push-on/push off momentary soft touch switch.

The problem is, what ever caused the knob to spring back out after being pushed in doesn't work anymore. So the slightest touch when turning up the volume, turns the radio off. :mad:

I don't want to pull the radio out and open it up just to find that there is nothing I can do about it. I can live with it, but it's annoying. :(

• Members

possible el-cheapo fix:

Pull the knob off, add felt washers so the knob won't push in any more, & put the knob back on.

The radio turns on/off with the ignition, right? If you want it quiet while the ignition's on, just turn it down all the way.

:rolleyes: Well... I did say it was el cheapo!

• CMS Author

It's time for a new car. You might as well be asking if you can repair a similar problem on an iPod or a cellular telephone except that you con't have contort yourself to find out that there's nothing that you can do with it. But if you can figure out how to remove the radio from the dashboard, you might be able to get a part time job at an auto sound installation shop.

These things are as integral with the car as the fenders, though aftermarket shops seem to be able to replace subsystems. If you're hoping that there's a screw you can tighten, you're out of luck - they aren't built like that. The last car radio I was able to fix was on my 1957 Ford, and I'm not a car collector. This one of the short-lived designs that used tubes but no vibrator power supply. They used 12V on the plates.

Archived