ARG! I need tech/wiring assistance Stat!

bdecorsey

• Members

I just replaced the caps/pots on my Dano, and its behaving strangely.

The pickups don't seem to be as loud as they were before, the guitar seems to hum more, and now when I switch pickups the sound cuts in and out.

Whats wrong with my guitar? I've switched out pickups before, but I've never really touched the other electronics. I'll post some pics in a minute here so that you guys can have a visual.

• Members

The problems I know of and have encountered while changing out pots/caps/switches/ect.

The ground wire. Make sure a that its attached well. (as long as they are not active pickups then this is not needed)

Another problem could be the value of the pots that you used? the wrong ones can cause a weak signal.

As far as the sound cutting in and out when you move the switch that could possibly be a bad switch. Even if you didn't screw with it when you were working in there it could have just gone bad. Ive had tons of switches on guitars die on me.

Those are my ideas mate

Good Luck

• Members

Why did you replace them? Did you use the same values as what was there before? Also, what wattage iron are you using? It's possible that you fried one of the pots by leaving the iron on it too long. 30 (or more) watt iron coupled with short contact time seems to be the best recipe for soldering to the back of pots.

Archived