I bought some new tools, im going to dress my frets

bluesboy

• Members

I've been doing alot of reading lately, including mind riots posts about leveling and crowning his frets. And i've been reading Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book.

these are the tools i've bought so far (all from stew-mac)

1) 18" precision straightedge

2) 8" radius block (for 12" radius for my EPI LP's)

3) 320 grit sand paper for leveling

4) 120 grit sand paper for polishing

5) cant saw 9" crowning tool

I already have masking tape and sharpie markers

anything else i forgot?

Also, Im going to replace the cheap plastic nut... should I level the frets first? this makes more sense to me....

• Members

the reason im doing this is because I had bought the thomas-ginex kit, and im afraid of using it for fear of not being able to keep the proper radius. i figured i would get the proper tools and try it the way professionals do it. ill post pics as i go :thu:

• Members

I wouldn't use 120 grit sandpaper for polishing! I assume you meant 1200 grit. :)

It might be good to have a few more grits of paper on hand, as well as some 0000 steel wool for polishing. Sometimes the scratches can be stubborn, and it's good to have some grits in between.

Make sure you have a solid work surface for working on, and that the neck is supported so that it doesn't flex while you're sanding. I've used a stack of paper before.

I've already said a lot in my other posts about the importance of precision and being careful and checking your work, so I won't repeat it here.

Removing the nut before you level the frets can make things easier, as it'll be out of the way.

Using a radius block can work, though it will remove more material than is often necessary to do the job. If you've read my other posts (and hopefully some of atrox's stuff as well) you've already read over some of the different methods used for leveling. It's not that hard to find a flat piece of steel that can work with sandpaper and double stick tape, just check some rectangular steel bar stock against your straightedge and you can often make a useful tool out of someone elses scrap.

• Members

hi mind riot, thatnks for replying... ive read your posts and atrox's many many times. i want to use the radius block because im worried about screwing up the radius with other tools... i think it will help me make sure i treat everything evenly. i was going to go really lightly, and a little bit at a time, so i hopefully wont take too much off of the fret height

Archived