Tele Tex Specials VS MIM Tele Pups stock

voneville

• Members

My inner-tweaker got the best of me.

I used to be a huge fan of the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials for Telecasters. I remember when I put them in my MIC Affinity Tele they made a world of difference and I swore they were my favorite tele pups ever made. They sounded great for blues, classic rock, and even punk (they're on the hot side for Tele pups).

I've been pretty happy with my MIM Tele. But I had some free time and figured I'd drop in the Tex Specs since they've been sitting in a box for the last couple of years (My Affinity Tele got the P-90 mod, you might recall).

The bridge pup is much twangier and a little thinner sounding then stock. Interestingly, the stock pup does not have the copper/brass or whatever base plate. The Texas Special neck pickup is much better sounding, a lot more balls and glassier sounding, especially with the overdrive.

I know most people buy the MIM Tele's with the intention of upgrading pups, I know I did. But for me, the stock pups can definatley stand on their own and don't really need to be replaced, they suit me fine. The Texas Specs make my MIM Tele sound like a completely different guitar. I was much happier with the results in the Affinity, since it sounded like crap stock. More then likely I'm going to put the stock pups back in and save the Tex Specs for a custom job down the road.

Archived