Question about USB cables

• Members

I wonder if anyone can explain to me how to tell the difference between a USB 1.0 and a USB 2.0 cable. I have a few that I have managed to get mixed up and lose track of which is which. Is there actually a physical difference? Any visible clues?

Bear

• Members

Thanks Where! I had wondered about this before, but when you buy the cables they are clearly labled 2.0...so gullible people like me were afraid to use any of the many "1.0" cables we had collected on our 2.0 devices. This is great news...one less thing to think about :)

Bear

• CMS Author
Originally posted by BLAblablah

I wonder if anyone can explain to me how to tell the difference between a USB 1.0 and a USB 2.0 cable.

The usual hype about better quality cable construction is able to handle the higher data rate. I've never known any USB connection to choke over a cable that conducts electricity.

• Members

Originally posted by gatorwing

Crossover cable is a type of CAT-5 cable. Used if you want to connect two PCs together with a NIC card.

Haha.. Showin yuor age there. A crossover cable is originally a serial port cable. (RS232) (also refered to as a NULL modem.)

• Members

I know that Laplink sells a USB crossover thingy, but I believe you have to have special software installed for it to work. Just use a CAT5 crossover cable and call it good, IMO. Or better yet, get a cheap router so you don't have to configure IP settings manually!

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Doe

Haha.. Showin yuor age there. A crossover cable is originally a serial port cable. (RS232) (also refered to as a NULL modem.)

Now you're going old skool :D. I remember transferring files between two PC's using a NULL modem cable with HyperTerminal. Good times...good times :D.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Dylan Walters

I remember transferring files between two PC's using a NULL modem cable with HyperTerminal. Good times...good times
:D

That was before anyone thought to call it a "crossover" cable.

Remember the days when the computer was in a building downtown and everyone connected a modem to a terminal (ASR-33) to talk to it? The great thing about a CRT was that it was silent! Wish our computers today were that silent.

Archived