Cartridge/needle question.

anti-flag193

• Members

The needle wore out about a year ago on my Quartz turntable and lately I've been dying to listen to some records so I have a few questions (I don't know crap about turntables). The cartridge is a Shure M95ED/D. The needle is just a black Shure. In order to get the turntable working well do I have to replace the cartridge too (they don't make the M95ED/D anymore but I think they make a replacement) or do I just get a Shure needle and use the old cartridge? Thanks.

• Members

Take a look at the bottom left corner of this page, they list a needle as a replacement for the M95ED. Not sure why they call it N95ED in the heading, but the M95 model number is referenced in the description-

http://www.stereoneedles.com/Shure.html

I can't be 100% sure that's what you need though, does that look like what's on there now?

It's a pretty expensive needle though, and I personally would rather pick up an entirely new cartridge that has not already been discontinued so I wouldn't have to worry about where I was going to get replacement needles in the future. But that's just me. If the needle above will fit the cart and your price range, take care of it and it'll last you long enough to get your money's worth and then some. Just bear in mind that if you're not a really critical listener with other high end equipment, there isn't much sense in spending a lot of money on a needle. You can get a decent new cart & stylus for the same or less money than just that needle and probably be just as happy with it. Take a look at needledoctor.com if you want to see what else is out there, I've always had good luck with them.

• Members

Nah, you can use whatever cart you like as long as it mounts the same way as your existing equipment. I'm assuming that you have the common standard (1/2") mount headshell on your turntable, which will look something like this-

http://www.needledoctor.com/Technics-Headshell?sc=2&category=997

If you have something like this on the end of your tonearm with 2 screws holding the cart from the top and 4 colored wires sticking out of the back of the cart & connecting to the headshell, you have a standard mount tonearm and any cart designed to fit this mounting system will work. Basically if you see two holes or brackets in the top of the cart to accept mounting screws you have a standard mount cart. An example-

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-70L-Cartridge?sc=2&category=363

The other less common mounting system is called p-mount where the cart plugs directly into the tonearm so no headshell is used and a single screw running through the tonearm itself holds the cart on. An example of that type-

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-OMP10-P-Mount-Phono-Cartridge?sc=2&category=402

Hope this helps.

• Members

Nah, you can use whatever cart you like as long as it mounts the same way as your existing equipment. I'm assuming that you have the common standard (1/2") mount headshell on your turntable, which will look something like this-

If you have something like this on the end of your tonearm with 2 screws holding the cart from the top and 4 colored wires sticking out of the back of the cart & connecting to the headshell, you have a standard mount tonearm and any cart designed to fit this mounting system will work. Basically if you see two holes or brackets in the top of the cart to accept mounting screws you have a standard mount cart. An example-

The other less common mounting system is called p-mount where the cart plugs directly into the tonearm so no headshell is used and a single screw running through the tonearm itself holds the cart on. An example of that type-

Hope this helps.

You're a huge help man. Mine has the second mounting system you mentioned. Is the Audio-Technica cartridge you mentioned a good buy?

• Members

I really don't know how that A-T needle performs, I pretty much just used that one as an example because it shows the mounting structure pretty well. If I were in your shoes I honestly have no idea what exact needle I would get, but it would probably be something from Shure, Grado, or Ortofon. These are just the brands that I've used in the past and had good luck with. A-T also has a good reputation but I've never had any personal experience with their products.

You have plenty of options in that price range, and pretty much all of them will get the job done. It's basically up to you to decide how much you will appreciate any fidelity gains from a more expensive model, especially considering the quality of the components of the rest of your audio system. Like I said before, a high end cart used in an otherwise budget system is a complete waste of money.

Also, make sure your records are nice and clean when you drop that new needle on them, dust is not a good thing for longevity. I use Gruv-Glide, but there are tons of cleaning systems out there that will work. Hope you're enjoying your vinyl again soon...

• Members

I really don't know how that A-T needle performs, I pretty much just used that one as an example because it shows the mounting structure pretty well. If I were in your shoes I honestly have no idea what exact needle I would get, but it would probably be something from Shure, Grado, or Ortofon. These are just the brands that I've used in the past and had good luck with. A-T also has a good reputation but I've never had any personal experience with their products.

You have plenty of options in that price range, and pretty much all of them will get the job done. It's basically up to you to decide how much you will appreciate any fidelity gains from a more expensive model, especially considering the quality of the components of the rest of your audio system. Like I said before, a high end cart used in an otherwise budget system is a complete waste of money.

Also, make sure your records are nice and clean when you drop that new needle on them, dust is not a good thing for longevity. I use Gruv-Glide, but there are tons of cleaning systems out there that will work. Hope you're enjoying your vinyl again soon...

Thanks man. I'm thinking of getting the Audio Technica cartridge you posted. It's cheap and will do the job I think. Ortofon stuff is priced out of my range a bit and Shure didn't seem to have many with the mount I need. I did see this though which seems nice...http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Green-Prestige-Series-Phono-Cartridges?sc=2&category=374

That looks like the mount I need (like the A-T one). I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend $20 more to get that rather than the A-T.

Probably a dumb question, but does the cartridge come with the needle? I see at the bottom of the Grado link I posted there's links to Grado needles, and I just wanna make sure you don't have to buy the Cartridge/Needle separately. I think I'm gunna go with that Gruv Glide stuff. Thanks for your help.

• Members

Yes, the cart will come with a needle. Most of the Shure models on there seem to be standard mount like the AT, but half of them are DJ carts and you want no part of one of those. I dig Grado, I bought a prestige silver from that site a while ago and really liked it. Unfortunately for me it was a gift so I didn't get to keep enjoying it.

Archived