help pup alignment

3kingbees

• Members

hi all.

how comes that the poles of the bridge pup of my beloved '89 strat don't match (notably the high E) strings?had anyone experienced the same problem? how can it be fixed? can i do it myself? if it's too hard for a novice luthier as i am do you suggest to have it professionally made? someone told me that to fix it they spank the neck !!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

HELP please

• Members

It's probably OK depending on what kind of Strat you have.

Easy way to check string alignment is American Series (Standards) and MIM Standards will have the high and low e strings directly over the center of the bridge pickup polepieces, but they won't be perfectly aligned over the middle and neck.

Like this:

0117400705_xl.jpg

On vintage style Strat bridges (reissues) it's just the opposite with the high and low e strings aligned through the center of the neck pickup polepieces, and offset slightly to the outside the bridge pickup.

If the spacing is way off for you, then you're neck might not be aligned properly in the neck pocket. Take it to a luthier or just do it yourself and loosen the four neckplate bolts a tad and then whack the neck into alignment.

It would sure help if you could post a pic of your guitar so we could diagnos your problem.

Archived