Paging Prages, Ajcoholic and all others with woodworking skills

prodrigu

• Members

I am planing to build simple case for my three rack units mainly because I want to practice my woodwork skills. I would like to learn how to make a "finger joint" or "box joint". Can you guys give some directions on that topic ? What are your recommendations, which tools will be needed, any website I can read a good explanation with pictures, etc... ? I did some search but so far all of the ones I looked at were not very helpful.

Many thanks in advance !

• Members

You have lots of options:

1) Fingerjoint jig for tablesaw

2) Dovetail jig for router and using a straight bit

3) Hand Cut joint using a dovetail saw and a chisel.

If you're doing it for fun, I suggest hand-cut dovetails. There are plenty of websites that will give you the step by step for that. Just need a saw, chisel, and perhaps a dovetail marker.

• Members

I always use a homemade finger joint jig and a dado blade on a table saw. If you've got the table saw and dado blade, the jig is cheap and easy to make yourself. If not, the cheaper option would probably be a router and a jig.

Here's how I do it.

It starts with the jig. I got this idea from a little 'how to' section on Lowes' web site. Basically you have a backing plate and a 'key'. You'll want the key to be a hard wood so it doesn't get chipped or worn as you go. I used oak for mine.

Say your wood is 1" stock, which really measures 3/4" thick. I use a 3/4" dado blade and a 3/4" block for the key. Cut a 3/4" dado into the backing plate. Where you do it really doesn't matter. Just somewhere close to the center. Then insert the key into the cut and glue it in. Let it dry.

Now, the most important part...screw the backing plate onto the guide on the table saw. You have to get the key exactly 3/4" away from the blade so that the joints will line up properly.

Here's the jig screwed into the guide:

Jig.jpg

JointJig.jpg

After that's set up, you just put the first piece of wood against the key, and run it through the saw, making sure you keep it tight against the back plate. For each successive cut, you just move the wood over so the notch you just cut goes over the key.

JointProcess1.jpg

Repeat the same process on the other side of the board.

For the pieces that will be joined to that board, the process is the same, only you want the first cut to be right at the edge of the board instead of 3/4" in. Then you just repeat until the entire width is cut.

Box%20Joints.jpg

CutWood.jpg

Then you just put some glue in the joints and clamp everything together, making sure it's square.

Clamped.jpg

Clamped1.jpg

Let it dry, then take the clamps off. You'll likely have a little overhang that can be taken off with a belt sander or on a router table with a straight cut blade.

After the joints are all flush, I put a 1/2" roundover bit on my router, put it on the router table, and round all the outside edges of the cab.

Roundover1.jpg

Archived