The best guitar-related purchase I have ever made...

trill

• Members

...not a guitar. Or an amp. Or a pedal. This:

realbook.jpg

It's a crash-course in reading staff notation and how chords work in a jazz context. I've had the book for 2 days and I've already learned more than I have in the past 3 months of slogging through chord dictionaries and tablature.

• Members

Tabs are alright, and perfectly fine if you only want to play music that was written on and performed on guitars, but learning how to read standard notation expands your possibilities for learning music exponentially. The Real Book (or any jazz fake book) is a good place to start, as 1. most of the music is in treble clef, 2. almost every song fits on one page, with the things you need to play it and nothing else, so once you've got the fundamentals of reading down, you can get the gist of most of them in less than an hour, and 3. if you're not interested in singing (which I'm not), the things a fake book will teach you are nearly invaluable from the perspective of being well-versed and really knowing your instrument.

• Members

The internets! It's also available in pretty much any big bookstore, or music store. There's lots of different fake books out there, but the Real Book is kind of the standard. There's two volumes, each with different songs, but make sure you get the one that's for C instruments, and not the Bb or bass clef version.

• Members
...not a guitar. Or an amp. Or a pedal. This:

realbook.jpg

It's a crash-course in reading staff notation and how chords work in a jazz context. I've had the book for 2 days and I've already learned more than I have in the past 3 months of slogging through chord dictionaries and tablature.

Damn straight. Useful book. The Chord Bible is a close second in terms of utility.

• Members

wat if we dont play teh jazzes

Even if you HATE jazz, the knowledge you'd pick up from just learning some of the chord progressions from the songs will help you out in blues, metal, or any other progressive style of music. Also, the way that jazz composers write melodies can be really spectacular, even if you hate the rhythms. And while most of the book is straight jazz, there's some neat bossa nova and fusion songs in it, too.

Chord books are great, don't get me wrong, but they rarely tell you how to use the chords. It'd be like if you opened a dictionary, and all you saw was a list of words, with maybe a bit of etymological info. I find that some chords only sound "good" in very specific contexts, and jazz composers are pretty adventurous with their substitutions and inversions.

Archived