Gluing a bolt on neck?

abstract

• Moderators

Modifying anything has a chance for disaster.

I've carried out many mods on cars, mororcycles, mountain bikes, reactor vessels, some haven't worked, but so far I haven't precipitated a volcanic explosion, a tsunami, the release of a deadly virus, or the sinking of a 2000+ Ocean going liner...............so mistake, yes, {censored}up yes, a tad wank yes.....disaster? nah:lol:

• Members
I've thought about this several times...I was wondering if anyone's ever done it.

Gluing a bolt-on neck in it's pocket...

Don't do it. The bolt-on guitar will lose one of it's biggest advantages...it's tweakability. With a set-neck or neck-through it's imposible to go back and change a neck angle. But not with a bolt-on. With a bolt-on a good luthier can give you the action of your dreams. So leave it as it is.

• Members

I've carried out many mods on cars, mororcycles, mountain bikes, reactor vessels, some haven't worked, but so far I haven't precipitated a volcanic explosion, a tsunami, the release of a deadly virus, or the sinking of a 2000+ Ocean going liner...............so mistake, yes, {censored}up yes, a tad wank yes.....disaster? nah:lol:

You have greater luck than myself.:) Maybe disaster was to strong of a word. A modified anything that doesn't work is another project on my floor waiting to fit into another project.

I have no idea what a tad wank is.:confused:

• Members
It's a rarity, but I disagree Wyatt. Gibson created their "rocking tenon" to enable a fit that would allow the correct neck angle without high tolerances in the machining. The wood to wood contact is pretty minimal. A snug Strat or Tele neck would be an ideal glueing candidate, should the mood take one, however, maple is not that permeable and thus the bond would be weaker than a mahogany-mahogany join

Well, there's always the tenon thing... what a set-neck Les Paul is supposed to have in theory.

tenons%20lpf.jpeg.jpg

• Members
Some idiots did it in the 80's thinking it would "improve" sustain something.

I saw a few pre-CBS Fenders desecrated in such a way.

Of course it does absolutely nothing, except ruin the guitar.

Even if doing it on a new build it's pointless and you take away the functionality of the bolt design. Just adding glue does not = "set" neck.

I guess I'm one of those idiots. I did it to a Ibanez copy of a Les Paul Jr. several years ago because it woudn't stay in tune no matter how tight I set the screws. Glueing the neck in place did the trick and it played very well after that. I don't think it helped the sustain 1%. Elmers to the rescue. I sold the guitar a few years later and bought an SG. I bet the next time some guy tried to take the neck off that LP copy he called me a sack of dirty names. :p:lol:

• Members
I guess I'm one of those idiots. I did it to a Ibanez copy of a Les Paul Jr. several years ago because it woudn't stay in tune no matter how tight I set the screws. Glueing the neck in place did the trick and it played very well after that. I don't think it helped the sustain 1%. Elmers to the rescue. I sold the guitar a few years later and bought an SG. I bet the next time some guy tried to take the neck off that LP copy he called me a sack of dirty names.
:p
:lol:

I don't (personally) feel there is a difference in sustain between set and bolt-on....

....but there could be difference in tone.

Did you notice a difference? If so, please explain it.

• Members

I don't (personally) feel there is a difference in sustain between set and bolt-on....

....but there could be difference in tone.

Did you notice a difference? If so, please explain it.

I don't think so, sounded good to me before and after, it just stayed in tune better. I couldn't play a full set without a major re-tuning every other song or so... after I guled it I could play most the night without much adjustment. I wouldn't have glued it had it stayed in tune better, kind of a last ditch effort that worked.

Archived