Recording and Mixing "Billie Jean"....

• Members

Bruce thanks for the gems!!

Can I make a special request for another story regarding the making of that album? Please?!!

Ok, here goes... I've heard Q mention in an interview, that the entire album's mixes had to be redone for whatever reason. He also said that you accomplished that in like 1 week!!Could you tell us how you accomplished this miracle, and what problems you had to overcome in the process?

I LOVE your work, and I love Q, so thanks a million!

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyX

NA! I DIDNT SEE THE WORD ANALOG!?!?! waaahoooo~~

and i'm guessing when u say "0" vu u are speaking everything calibrated to "0", mixer, machines, etc...

Johnny X......

Yes, all my stuff is calibrated to '0' VU.....

'0' VU is: Applying a signal of 1.228V (4 dB above 1 mW into a 600ohm load) to the instrument in series with the proper external resistance (3,600ohm) will cause a deflection to the 0 VU or the 100 percent point. Or, when bridging across a line, the volume indicator, including the proper series resistance (3,600ohm), should have an impedance of 7,500? when measured with a sinusoidal voltage sufficient to deflect the meter to the 0 VU or the 100 percent point.

Bruce

:cool::thu::cool:

• Members

Bruce, I'll bet you never thought you'd have to explain "0VU" on a recording discussion forum ;)

"Zero level" means something different to people who came up in the digital era--in other words, 0dB full-scale, maximum level before clipping. But in the analog realm, when you're at 0VU, you are (or at least should be) a good 20dB or so below clipping.

RE "Billie Jean": I have to say, I got really sick of that song back in the '80s. ("Heavy rotation" doesn't begin to describe how often it was played...). But I heard it again on TV just the other day and, now that my ears have had a break from it for a few years, I realize what a killer track it really is. That damn bassline is stuck in my head at this very moment.

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

Bruce thanks for the gems!!

Can I make a special request for another story regarding the making of that album? Please?!!

Ok, here goes... I've heard Q mention in an interview, that the entire album's mixes had to be redone for whatever reason. He also said that you accomplished that in like 1 week!!Could you tell us how you accomplished this miracle, and what problems you had to overcome in the process?

I LOVE your work, and I love Q, so thanks a million!

meccajay-deccajay.....

Here you go....

Mixing Thriller...

When we first finished mixing

Archived