Pickup recommendation for Godin xtSA

MikeEdge

• Members

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Having acquired this extraordinary instrument, I like it a lot. The only limitation seems to be the stock pickups - Godin GHB1, GHN1 humbuckers, GHS1 single) - the tones don't suit my needs fully. Here are my requirements (well I know ):

bridge: a versatile humbucker with good sustain, covering even the harder stuff (hard rock, classic metal, no need for drop tunings and numetal stuff), yet useable when coil-split

neck: lush tone, good sustain (sweet child o'mine sort of stuff), again - useable when coil-split

middle SC: the stock one is too noisy, I would like to get rid of the noise and get as close to strat tones as possible - also something that would work with the inner coils of either humbucker.

Well, it's probably impossible, still I would like to get the best results possible. The brand is not important to me, although SD stuff is best available here. I'll be very thankful for your advice!

• Members

Great guitar I love the Godins. I am not as much of a Seymour Duncan fan as I am a Dimarzio fan so I will leave the Duncans for someone else to suggest.

For the bridge I would suggest a Tone Zone which would sound good with the maple wood in the body adding some extra low end with great sustain. The Tone Zone also sounds really good when split.

In the neck a good choice is the Air Norton. Great sustain and balances well with the Tone Zone in the bridge. Sounds good split.

For the middle the best thing I have tried is the Area'58. Noise-free single coils that sounds like a single coil with a little more output to balance better with the humbuckers.

There is a lot of good stuff out there I would suggest you go to Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio's home sites and read up on what they have got to offer and see what sounds like it would appeal to you. Good Luck.

Archived