Xmas gift

trigun500

• Members

I want to get my parents a good record player for Xmas, I might pick one up at the local GC. My plan is to hook it up to our Surround Sound System. I am on a budget, do you have any suggestions?

Also, where would be the best place to get vinyl? I need to find Tool for dad.

Thanks a lot.

• Members

Only 11 shopping days left... If you go to GC to buy it, make sure you do not buy a dj turntable. You will be paying for things you don't need and making other unnecessary sacrifices. In fact, I'd say go to an electronics store that deals more in hi-fi equiment than GC. I can't speak for all of them but the one near me doesn't have dick for hi-fi, nor would I really expect them to.

A home theater system will work for playback, as long as you have the all-important PHONO PREAMP. Many normal stereo receivers have them built in, your home theater receiver almost certainly does not. It's basically a tiny amplifier between your turntable and your reciever needed to boost the very quiet sound output of a turntable up to standard line level that the receiver is designed to handle. They're sold all over the place, online retailers or the place you get the turntable from will be able to help you. Make sure you pick up a half decent needle too, this is as important as anything else.

As far as finding Tool on vinyl (your dad and mine must come from different generations) I would check ebay first. I don't really know who the reputable internet rock music retailers are, perhaps someone else can chime in on that one...

Archived