Acoustic Guitar Polish for Rosewood Fretboard?

StratoSlacker

• Members

Just found a bottle of this at the bottom of a box of misc. gear: Martin Guitar Polish, Stock No 18AP99

Would this be of use for cleaning a rosewood fretboard (LP Studio) or would it just gum things up? Doesn't say if it has waxes in it or not.

I'd like to know what folks think about this.

"...high performance cleaners, gloss enhancers and polishing agents revitalize and nourish the finish..."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-Guitar-Polish?sku=420111&src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=26027384

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-Guitar-Polish-100079290-i1133312.gc

thanks

• Members

Well cleaning and preserving / conditioning the fretboard are two dif' processes. With the strings off, I usually just wipe down the fretboard with a dry cotton cloth. If there is gunky buildup then a moist cotton cloth can work and / or 0000 size steel wool. It all depends on how much gunk and filth has built up. You may have to scrap it off.

I use reg' old fret-doctor Lem-oil for preserving / conditioning the a rosewood fretboard

• Members

So the Martin stuff is a no go? The only local music shop didn't have anything for fretboards and I don't feel like driving around for another 40 minutes. Guess I should be patient and wait.

Not much gunk but the frets have a very thin patina of crud on them (guitar hasn't been used much in a while). I'll wipe it down good with a dry cloth and check back in maybe.

• Members

Lemon oil is pretty much the norm for cleaning and enhancing rosewood fingerboards and it saves your guitar from unnecessary wear and tear from using steel wool. The guitar polish in question is normally used on guitar necks and bodies.

Visit;

www.frets.com

They have some pretty concise information on acoustic guitar maintenance, repair and set-up, but most of the information can also be applied to electric guitars.

• Members

Lemon oil is pretty much the norm for cleaning and enhancing rosewood fingerboards and it saves your guitar from unnecessary wear and tear from using steel wool. The guitar polish in question is normally used on guitar necks and bodies.

Visit;

www.frets.com

They have some pretty concise information on acoustic guitar maintenance, repair and set-up, but most of the information can also be applied to electric guitars.

Nice link:thu:

Ya, the section "advice on cleaning your instrument" does a great job covering the topic at hand. Well worth a look at.

• Members

Never a problem ;) I feel that it's the kind of resource (Frets.com) that deserves a sticky and could save a lot of forumites a lot of potential heartache.

Dan Erlewine also has a few good maintenance and set-up books out there and - if you're wanting to learn a little more than the basics - they're well worth buying into and using as reference resources.

• Members

Never a problem
;)
I feel that it's the kind of resource (Frets.com) that deserves a sticky and could save a lot of forumites a lot of potential heartache.

Dan Erlewine also has a few good maintenance and set-up books out there and - if you're wanting to learn a little more than the basics - they're well worth buying into and using as reference resources.

Erlewine does have a few good ones. I have His "Guitar Player Repair Guide" Book. It's a good book to have around as a reference no doubt.

Archived