Help!!!! New performing guitarist on the scene.

cada7

• Members

Hey team,

I'm having to defect from the keyboard side of things, as I did something I've never done before ...

I auditioned to play keys and guitar for a church worship team, and it turns out they want me on lead guitar!

I am not a novice, and I have performed but I am being stretched to a new level, and I would love to have some feedback on my setup...

First of all, we are doing a variety of styles, Hillsongs United, Lincoln Brewster, Desperation Band, Steve Fee, just some great stuff, and I am getting comfortable with the more modern stylings.

My live setup is as follows:

Vox Tonelab LE to Tech-21 Trademark 10, with 'vintage' Boss CE-2 (wonderful) in the Tech-21 insert.

I am setting up the Tonelab in pedalboard mode so that I can switch on and off delays, modulation, etc. as the songs require. I hit the CE-2 on occasion to add that thick and wonderful chorus. I run the Tech-21 with the "Tweed + clean" setting and keep the speaker emulation off (flat) as the Tonelab does a pretty good job of cab emulation. I have not yet experimented with alternate routings with this setup.

This is giving me pretty good control/tone up to a point - but I am realizing one shortfall, that some of the guitar setups are a bit complex, and once I route the Wah on the tonelab, I don't have the ability to add a 'stompbox' for boost during solos. Since I like to run my volume at the Strat at 100%, I am thinking that adding a 'boost' pedal might be the easiest way to emphasize the leads. Am I thinking right? Where should I put the boast (pre Tonelab, post Tonelab, or perhaps the Tonelab insert?). Any advice on good boast boxes?

Please shoot holes in my setup if I am doing things WRONG!!!

All in all this is just a fantastic priveledge to do this, and I love the worship team and this is the first time I've been able to be with people that really know their stuff...

Thanks,

• Members

Thanks Adlo,

Yes, I use the TBX a bit to boost the highs, but the volume simply sounds best at 100%. I also play with the 5-way switching on my strat, but Ideally I just need to boost the overall sound / volume by 10-15%.

I have a 250k pot for volume. Would going to a 500k give me more control? I have one, I just have not put it in yet.

I am still thinking that a boost pedal would work best, and just need to find the best one.

I admit that live performance is a bit of a change for me at present, as I had mostly been doing recording, where these issues don't realy surface.

I am realizing that to play guitar I am also going to have to grow my ego a bit.

Archived