So "IF" you're gonna replace a truss rod on a Fender neck...

guitarchaz

• Members

...with a skunk stripe, does it make the most sense to rout out the stripe as opposed to separating the fingerboard ? Doesn't fender put the truss rod in these type of necks from the back ? There are nice little dot inlays along the edge sit right between the neck and the fingerboard, Seems these would become a real mess if I separated it, or so it appears. Filler wood for the stripe is easy enough to find, and I don't mind having to refinish the back of the neck and dress it up when I'm done. Anyone ever done this ?

For those who haven't read other posts, it's an oddball scale 24 3/4 Bolt on from a Toronado that has a broken truss rod. No readily available after market replacement (Although I'm chasing a squire that might work for it), and I want to give it a shot any way even if I do get a replacement neck somewhere. Might as well experiment. This one is no good to me at the moment.

• Members

Yep, you'd take out the skunk stripe. The ones with a skunk stripe are one piece necks; the fingerboard is part of the neck instead of being laminated on.

ew

This one has a skunk stripe, but also has a rosewood fingerboard. It's not a one piece maple neck. Still think stripe removal is the way to go ? I assume that there is wood built up in the curved part of the rod between the fingerboard and the fretboard,and I'm hoping when I chisel the stipe out, I'm looking right at the rod.

• Members

The dot inlays are plastic and will melt. A sidemarker rod is about $1. Removing the fretboard takes about 30 minutes to an hour at the most with a steam iron. Routing or chiseling out the skunk stripe seems to me the be the hard way to go to say the least.

I did a rod replacement on a Jagmaster last year. It also had the side markers mounted between the board and neck. After the board was reglued I simply used a 3/32 drill bit in my fingertips to clear the holes, then a drop of CA glue in the hole and new side marker. Steamng the board off and reinstalling will probably mean a fret level is needed though.

• Members

The dot inlays are plastic and will melt. A sidemarker rod is about $1. Removing the fretboard takes about 30 minutes to an hour at the most with a steam iron. Routing or chiseling out the skunk stripe seems to me the be the hard way to go to say the least.

I did a rod replacement on a Jagmaster last year. It also had the side markers mounted between the board and neck. After the board was reglued I simply used a 3/32 drill bit in my fingertips to clear the holes, then a drop of CA glue in the hole and new side marker. Steamng the board off and reinstalling will probably mean a fret level is needed though.

Good advice, and I'm very comfy with fret levels. Have the appropriate tools radiused blocks files, etc. Any special advice ? Just use a regular household iron and a knife ? Anything special for the knife ? Just crank the iron up to max with steam and and lay it on there? Any other advice ?

Thanks very much !!!!

• Members

The first time I removed a board was with the help of this link:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm

My only additions to his instructions are:

1. Do not use a hammer as he suggests you might do

2. when you get the board off clamp it to a flat piece of wood. Use wax paper between the fretboard and lumber (very important)

This link is his tutorial on reinstalling the board:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/attach.htm

Use plenty of clamps - I used 7-8 on mine.

The truss rod I used was from Luthiers Mercantile. www. lmii.com . Part # TRED. It was the only after-market rod I found that fit the measurements of the cavity already in the neck. They carry the dot stick as well.

Archived