Why does everyone hate maple necked Les Pauls?

abstract

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never seen in person a maple necked Les Paul. Let alone played one. I'm thinking I would love it though. Here's a design I wish Gibson would make some day:
a Les Paul with a maple neck through mahogany body wings. No maple top. The neck and wings would be carved to the same specifications as the regular Les Pauls. Anyway I'm thinking it would be a crunch machine. With even more sustain than the regular ones. And it could come with your choice of Gibson, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or EMG pickups.

• Members

The early 70's saw the LP deluxes with pancake bodies, but no other model that I know of. I used to have a 74 Goldtop deluxe with pancake body. It was sweet and I don't think the interface between the two pieces of mahogany made any difference. My Custom has a multipiece maple top, but it is a one piece mahogany back.

I've played lots of standards and customs and I usually like the standards much more than the customs, but the custom I'm playing now is just great and I've never played a Paul that was any better. That's not to say that there are better LPs out there, but its hard for me to imagine them. My Custom is heavy, but its definitely not your typical boat anchor. Its about 9.5lbs.

• Members
A Les Paul with a maple neck and fretboard reminds me of the fat albino kid that I went to grammer school with. Nice kid, and he got good grades, but dang - he did look strange.
:o

lppd1cn2.jpg

This has a maple neck... doesn't look like a fat kid to me :idk:

• Members
Yeah... the schizophrenic look is definitely for exciting people. Matching is for total idiots. Who matches? Screw them.
:rolleyes:

Given that most guitars have fretboards that are a different color than the body, I don't find it odd or "schizophrenic"...:freak:

• Members

That looks like a sexy chick who constantly begs to be taken from the rear:cry:

Thats a 70s Utter?

'77 Les Paul Pro Deluxe :thu:

The maple neck is slim and fast, noticeably flatter than the mahogany necks on my '96 Special and Epi Elite, but not nec. better or worse.

Oh btw... trigger pull'd on the ObG. Mahogany neck and all...

obgia7.jpg

• Members

That looks fly - very sweet! It's no albino either, by the way...
;)

:D

For the record, whether you love it, hate it, or don't care either way, the maple neck was definitely not a cost-cutting measure. It was conceived and implemented as a genuine step forward in durability over the accident-prone one-piece mahogany necks.

And fwiw, mine has come off the strap and bounced its headstock off the floor with no ill effect, so apparently it worked :eek:

Archived