Locking Tuners for a Les Paul

StratoSlacker

• Members

I plan on installing some locking tuners on my LP studio. The stock tuners are starting to piss me off. I'd like to avoid having to widen the holes in the pegboard but I don't mind drilling holes for screws if necessary.

I'd like to hear recommendations on which locking tuners to get.

Thanks!

• Members

honestly there are so many factors that effect tuning more so than the tuners

Tuners are just gears and gears can not just "slip" and put the guitar out of tune. I have locking tuners on one guitar and there is no difference in tuning stability than my other guitars. I really dont know why I bought them.

• Members

honestly there are so many factors that effect tuning more so than the tuners

Tuners are just gears and gears can not just "slip" and put the guitar out of tune. I have locking tuners on one guitar and there is no difference in tuning stability than my other guitars. I really dont know why I bought them.

the tension from the strings DOES pull on them though, which can cause a little but of pressure pulling on those gears, but I do agree with you.

• Members

i'm not having tuning or nut problems. two of the tuners are damaged, one has a chipped knob and the one next to it is bent. the cosmetics don't bother me so much but the bent tuner is really annoying when changing strings.

so...locking tuner recommendations would be appreciated as I prefer locking tuners.

thanks

• Members

wow, that Grover has a really long post on it.

Did you have to do any drilling to install either type?

I didn't have to do any drilling for either the Sperzel or Grover, locking or non. The long shafts were not to my liking and I thought they looked strange. I'd rather have the Sperzel's on there and live with the screw holes in the back.

• Members

lots of opinions, i like this. thanks to all who have replied.

nobody has touched my drilling questions yet. which brands/models will require hole-widening? those will be ruled out immediately.

again, i don't mind drilling screw holes or having screw holes exposed, but i don't want to do major surgery on the guitar.

Archived