American Standard vs. American Vintage

ThreeGutRock

• Members

I'm looking at getting a tele through Fender in the next week or so, and am still torn as to which one to get.

Is the vintage that much better than the 08 standard? I'm gonna go in and play a few later on today, I just want to see if there's any insight into either.

• Members

I can't speak for te;es but as far as strats are concerned I was in the same position. I really wanted a 57 (reissue) - had read a lot about them. Went to the store and tried out several plus some Standards. I came out with the standard. Price is a huge factor. Very little wrong with the 57 but I didn't think that for almost twice the price I wasn't getting anywhere near twice the guitar. The new American Standards are also very.. very nice instruments. Quality control with Fender is second to none..Good luck

• Members

It's a feel thing. The RI's have a fatter neck, and smaller fretboard radius and frets. I also believe the pickups aren't as powerful. If you like a big neck, go vintage. If you want something smaller, go Am Std.

There's also a controversy over the 3-barrel bridge: some players dislike the intonation compromises while purists say the 3-barrel bridge is essential to the 'Tele' tone.

Try a bunch out, and see what works for you.

Archived