Craigy

• Members

Hey guys im looking at starting to make my own house music primarily funky house. I was wondering if anyone could point me in he direction of a good, cheapish computer program for creating tunes. Also i was looking into getting decks and a mixer for mixing. Any help is well appreciated! cheers, Craig

• Members

Hey there. Welcome to the DJ Booth!

If you're into loop based production, Sony Acid is a good program. For editing (and a whole lot more), you can try Sony Sound Forge. These are not cheap but they're worth the money IMHO.

Then there's Reason which is a very powerful program which requires a lot of reading to understand it, not to mention a lot of RAM and a fast CPU. If you can handle a steep learning curve and have the hardware requirements covered, this may be the one for you.

Propellerheads Rebirth is now available as a free download but the sounds are very recognizable in that they are based on classic machines like the Roland TB303, TR808 and TR909. Not necessarily an adverse quality if you are looking for more classic house sounds (electro, acid, tech).

There are other options, most of which I'm not really aware of since I'm more hardware based. Maybe the others here will have better answers. PLease be patient and allow a little time for their responses...it's been kinda slow here lately.

As for mixing gear, what's the budget? Vinyl or CD? How many channels do you need?

V.

• Members

HEy thanks alot for the response man! Im actually thinking about going to college to do mixing and sound production mainly off my own back because i love writing my own music. Ive got 2 pcs sitting here so i should be fine with the hardware aspect and ill check out the programs you listed.

As for mixing my budget would be about £500 and i would be looking for a simple set up to start with probably just two channel with a mixer so i can get a hang of it probably cd to start with as i have a decent wee collection of house comps etc.

Thanks alot!, Craig

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ableton Live is best program for creating tunes, IMO.

I've used everything from Reason to Fruity Loops to Acid to Cakewalk stuff... etc etc.

If you are seriously wanting to start making music, get a hold of a copy of Ableton Live, get a decent midi controller (unless you like clicking notes into place and using your mouse for EVERYTHING) and then start working at it.

Having a decent archive of samples and loops at your disposal never hurts either.

I can actually get you a copy of Live for cheap if you need it.

Archived