Affordable single cut junior guitar?

samueldb88

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a '98 epi lp jr. It has a p-90, bolt neck and is the most reliably kick ass guitar I've ever had. It always sounds amazing. I remember trying out about 10 of them however, because at that time the QC was {censored}ty.

But that guitar still rules.

I've recently tried the prs one and that thing feels amazing. Totally worth it.

• Members

Some time ago I emailed Jay about the kits that he was supposed to start selling. I wrote that I would have liked to see a kit that featured a single or double cut body routed for a single P-90.

So I would really be interested in this guitar, particularly with a worn white finish!

Robert

• Members

I'd love the Xaviere Zemaitis shape, 3 of 4 piece mahogany and pretty well matched, 1 p90, volume, tone, don't care if it's bolt on or set neck, but please, NO plastic necks! A decent headstock (no funny looking fonts or shapes) and it would be the most amazing cheap guitar ever.

Sunburst, Cherry, Black, white... satin colors would be cool and to top it of a pickguard (in some cases tortoise shell, mint or black)

• Members
JAY!! Your answer is music to my ears!!

Almost a year ago I emailed this to Rondo:

=============================

Rondo,

Since I don't know how to submit a suggestion directly to the Agile design department, Rondo is the best place I can think of to offer my suggestion.

There seems to be a jump in popularity of single cutaway Gibson Les Paul Juniors lately. I think that the timing would be perfect for Agile to release a LP Jr inspired, SINGLE P90 PICKUP guitar with a wraparound tailpiece/bridge.

In my opinion it would help sales immensely if the guitar does NOT have a tuneomatic style bridge added.

Gibson has reissued the guitar in a couple of varieties, all of them rudely overpriced if you ask me. To get one where the color is like the originals I would have to buy a Custom Shop VOS (Vintage Original Spec) with a list price of OVER $3000.00!! The Les Paul Junior was a "cheap" guitar back in the 50's that happened to be a tone monster. I believe that it was entirely an engineering accident that the stripped down Les Paul sounded so good.

Gibson is taking advantage of the jump in popularity of the Juniors. I believe that timing is perfect for Agile to offer a LP Jr inspired guitar with Agile quality at an Agile price.

Thank you for your time.

========================

They requested images of Juniors which I sent.

Since they requested pics I sent a followup email:

========================

Rondo,

I assume that since you requested some images of the Gibson Les Paul Jr that you may be considering a "tribute" guitar.

I want to reemphasize how simple the Gibson Les Paul Junior is.

Adding a pickup or a tuneomatic bridge does not make it better. The bare bones simplicity is the very thing that makes "Juniors" such unexpectedly great guitars.

Please, please if you are considering creating a similar guitar, keep it bare bones. THAT is why they are so popular. I am sure that it would sell very well and you could have a healthy profit margin while still selling a "Junior" that solidly underprices Gibson's offering.

Thank you very much. A good "Junior" copy is long overdue.

=========================

Rondo has had plenty of time to act on the suggestion. Rather than recomposing the same idea to you, I just copied & pasted what I sent to Rondo. It kills two birds with one stone. I present the idea to you and I come clean with Rondo.

One thing I will add. Perhaps I am way out on a limb, but if I had the skill, the tools and the resources to build a "Junior" for myself, I would finish it like a Gibson "Faded" guitar. That thin, almost absent finish allows a guitar to be alive. Gloppy shiny thick finishes smother a guitar's response. I would
much
rather have that thin 'faded' finish or even no finish at all.

Jay, please please consider making a "Junior". If made correctly (no tuneomatic or odd body shape) at a rational price, you can depend on selling at least one to me.

it takes about 1 year to implement a new agile design. so if kurt did take your suggestion from "nearly a year ago" you wouldnt see the final version til spring. its a shame he's so secretive with new stuff.

i imagine if jay does one, your looking at a similar time frame to production (or maybe his factory is faster with these small runs).

either way, whoever makes it first for under $250, im buyin one :)

my requirments would be:
- basic lp single cut shape (agile round horn shape and the zemantis shape are adequate).
- real mahogany body and neck, 3-4 pieces on the body is fine, just no veneer. i hate veneer. neck can be the standard 3 piece scarfed.
- nut must be 1-11/16". dont care on the material if its cut well.
- indian rosewood board with dot or no inlays. fretboard binding would be a bonus. smaller radius like 10-11" would be great, im not big on these flat boards.
- simple painted or rosewood veneer headstock.
- grover or wilkinson tuners.
- a decent stop bar bridge.
- 1 nice quality P90, 2 good pots, or one concentric. good tone cap.
- stripped down "jr" style finishes. no grain filler, flat colours or natural.
- no pick guard, or optional "in the box" pick guard.

um.. thats about all there is to a jr isnt it :)

if someone could offer this "unfinished" in kit form so i could do my own paint job or oil finish, that would be even better.

• Members

I think this one deserves a bump.

Jay, the LP Jr idea rocks. It would be even better with a bigsby like the few you had on your site a liitle while back.

While I'm dreaming, a 335/gretsch/guild semi or hollow body set-neck with a bigsby would have me reaching for my wallet. If they are at the same quality as my xv-700 and could be had at $300-$350 I don't know how you could lose.:love:

• Members

Well, it would be nice if Jay did put out a single pup P-90 guitar (ala LP Jr.).

But obviously that's a business decision on his part.

Some people equate the "more-is-merrier" approach.

A basic stripped-down-to-the-bone guitar might appeal to us.

But "us" might not be enough buyers to make it worth while?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'll tell ya... I bought a PRS SE ONE and it is totally slaying me with it's tone and playability... The fit and

finish are amazing and there are so many tones to be

had by only using the volume knob... It is very sensitive.

There isn't one kind of music or style I can't play with it.

Gary

Archived