Drag on teh bends............

spruce goose

• Members

On my strat, when I bend, I get this annoying "drag" (complete with a drag noise thingy). Thing gets worse when I really dig in and add some vebrato and such.

I'm interested in this not happening. How do I make it stop? Is it the nut? Something else? This doesn't happen on my other geetar (an LP).

Tx.

• Members

Sounds like one of two things:

1) Frets need a dress and polish, or (less likely)

2) Too much friction at the nut

I just had it refreted a few months ago (and haven't played it much since). the frets look perfect to me. The nut friction option seems more likely. How would I fix such a thing?

• Members

You could try something as simple as lubricating the nut. remove the strings (or loosen and pull out of the slots), and rub a soft pencil into the slots. The graphite in the pencil lead acts to reduce friction. Then re-string.

If that doesn't fix it, your nut slots may need some work. A well-cut nut slot is not too deep, and flares down and out at the side nearer to the machine heads. Search the forums for tips and pictures from others more skilled than me!

You can also get replacement nuts from (e.g.) Graphtec that have lower friction.

HTH

• Members

You could try something as simple as lubricating the nut. remove the strings (or loosen and pull out of the slots), and rub a soft pencil into the slots. The graphite in the pencil lead acts to reduce friction. Then re-string.

If that doesn't fix it, your nut slots may need some work. A well-cut nut slot is not too deep, and flares down and out at the side nearer to the machine heads. Search the forums for tips and pictures from others more skilled than me!

You can also get replacement nuts from (e.g.) Graphtec that have lower friction.

HTH

Aye, thanks. I did put pencil lead on the nut last time I changed strings. I'll look into other options, too. Who knows, it might turn out to be the frets after all (something in their "finish" might be off, I dunno). If all else fails, I'll bring it to the guy that refretted the thing for me.

Archived