Ways in which a new and different guitar has impacted your playing style

bikehorn

• Members

Anyone ever find a new guitar changed the way you play? and maybe the kind of music you play?

As I spend more and more time with my ES-335 copy, and proportionately less time with my Yamaha strat copy, I find the stuff I play is sounding less like Pavement and more like The Who. Any time I pick this guitar, I can't help but turn it up to 11 and rock out at maximum capacity. It has great cleans but it almost seems trivial since it sounds damn near orgasmic when I turn my amp up or step on my Fuzz Face :love: Power chords have a kind of "Live At Leeds" punch to them, and the ability to have feedback on command is so much fun. Now I've been learning Foghat and Humble Pie songs. Oasis too.

By comparison, the cheapie strat copy sounds weak and muffled. I was on the fence about turning it into a dedicated slide guitar, but now that I'm getting more and more used to the 335's capabilities I think making the yamaha into a slide machine is the only way to keep it in regular play :D I really wanted an Epi Firebird VII, but I got this thing for less than half of the cost of an Epi FB, so I "settled" for this. Am I ever glad! I think I'm a semihollow convert forever. What can't I do with this thing? Play metal maybe, but not being a metal player, that doesn't bother me. Time to go play some more.

• Members

Well... this Telecaster has this new technology called a "humbucker." Don't worry if you haven't heard of it; it's still in development. The mini-humbucker is a smaller humbucker that sounds less muddy to me than normal humbuckers. It's allowed me to be able to mix the Les Paul growl with the Telecaster bridge pickup bite. Awesome.

IMG_0826.jpg

• Members

I find single coil pickups more unforgiving than humbuckers.

Something i like about mini-humbuckers is when i switch from a guitar with single coils to one with mini-humbuckers, i dont need to change my amps settings like i would with regular humbuckers.

• Members

I find single coil pickups more unforgiving than humbuckers.

Something i like about mini-humbuckers is when i switch from a guitar with single coils to one with mini-humbuckers, i dont need to change my amps settings like i would with regular humbuckers.

Yeah, I love being able to use my Dano and my Telecaster without changing anything on the Twin. In fact, when I go to places like GC, I judge guitars based on how they sound through my normal amp settings on the store's Twin Reverb.

Archived