Your thoughts and opinions, please.

gatorwing

• Members

Looking at buying this:

Squier Strat (red with white pickguard, maple neck) and a Peavey Transtube Rage 158.

Would like to know if this is decent gear.

Play classic rock; looking for home use only.

Price seems good to me - $175 including a gig bag and stand.

Thanks.

[ATTACH]264113[/ATTACH]

• Members

Squier is Fender's starter gear. Not great quality but playable nonetheless. If you're just starting out then it should be more than sufficient. It may require a setup but it should do the trick.

If you're an experienced player then the Squier series may not be quite what you want.

• Members

Burgess certainly gave you a fair comment about the product. I've played it and it plays fine. However, if you are serious about guitar playing I would ante up $400 or $500 and go take a look at the G&L Tribute. The imported Tribute is to G&L as the Squier is to Fender but the Tribute is a professional level instrument in every sense of the word. That's why it is more expensive than the Squier. The G&L Tribute is just plain impressive for its price. The price of the Tribute is not really that much to pay for a good quality electric guitar. I'm serious. Check it out.

In case you aren't aware of the history, the L in G&L is Leo Fender. He formed G&L with his partner (George, the G in G&L) after they sold the Fender company. G&L products are excellent, right through the product line.

• Members

Squier is Fender's starter gear. Not great quality but playable nonetheless. If you're just starting out then it should be more than sufficient. It may require a setup but it should do the trick.

If you're an experienced player then the Squier series may not be quite what you want.

Thanks.

Just relearning at home for now.

• Members

Burgess certainly gave you a fair comment about the product. I've played it and it plays fine. However, if you are serious about guitar playing I would ante up $400 or $500 and go take a look at the G&L Tribute. The imported Tribute is to G&L as the Squier is to Fender but the Tribute is a professional level instrument in every sense of the word. That's why it is more expensive than the Squier. The G&L Tribute is just plain impressive for its price. The price of the Tribute is not really that much to pay for a good quality electric guitar. I'm serious. Check it out.

In case you aren't aware of the history, the L in G&L is Leo Fender. He formed G&L with his partner (George, the G in G&L) after they sold the Fender company. G&L products are excellent, right through the product line.

Great info.

Like the Legacy and Legacy HB!

I'm just looking for something in the house as I relearn and get used to playing again. Don't like the acoustic I have. And want to keep the price low until I'm ready to spend more money.

I have enjoyed playing the Strats I have tried.

Any opinions on the amp?

• Members

Peavy makes a pretty solid product...I haven't owned a peavy amp for a long time, my first was a decade 10 and then I got a backstage plus 35, both were great amps...sounds pretty good for a starter pack, not a big investment, and the amp will be loud enough to jam with the stereo up if ya want, but not enough to shake the windows or anything.

• Members

I had the 25 watt version and it was ok. The best small SS amp for me is still my Marshall MG15 for overdrive, and my Fender Frontman 15 for cleans. These are always on e-bay for cheap, cheap, cheap.

As for the package, $175 is not a steal but not bad, either. I got a great Squire Strat for $71 and you can pick up those Peavey 15/8's for $25 to $40.

Just watch the shipping...buy the stuff local.

Archived