Bass advice

zoomzilla

• Members

Ok, so I went to guitar center this weekend to get some new toys. I brought my wife along. She wanted to get more involved with my playing, so I recommended she think about getting a bass, so she could play basslines along with me. She saw an Ibanez for around $399 and an Ampeg Amp for around $349. I don't know ANYTHING about Bass stuff. What can you guys help me with?

• Members

I was never an Ibanez fan but after trying one of their basses I rented it for recording. After two months I bought it. It is an SRX300...one of the SoundGear series. They are absolutely incredible. I know people who gig with them regularly and the necks are really up at the superior end of stringed instrument production. I had mine since December of 2002 and I've never even needed to adjust the truss rod. It holds its own against my USA G&L JB-2 which cost 3 or 4 times what the Ibanez cost. There are a lot of good basses out there but the Ibanez are the best value on the market in my opinion.

On the left:

IbanezBassMorganGibsonEtudePacerDel.jpg

• Members

The most important thing as far as basses go for her, just take her to the store and have her play as many as she can stand to play.

Take home which ever one she likes the best for what ever reason. As long as it plays and feels solid, the most important thing is just going to be if it inspires her to keep playing.

A fender Jazz bass, even a squier would be a nice choice for her to keep the costs low at first. Great all around playing and sounding versatile bass, and it has a narrower neck which will be good for women who typically have smaller hands.

But get the one that you think will just inspire her to play. Even if it is just because it looks pretty. She can always upgrade as she progresses.

• Members

The most important thing as far as basses go for her, just take her to the store and have her play as many as she can stand to play.

Very true!!

One more thing that the Ibanez will excel at is the action which is usually super easy to play because those necks are so straight the strings can be set really low and typically are set that way from the factory.

• Members

I bought an SX LTD Jazz bass from www.rondomusic.com a couple weeks ago. It's a very nice instrument and an excellent value. Check it out here: http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb-75ltdna.html

I'm a guitar player who's just starting to pick up bass, so I took it to band practice the other night to see what our bass player thought of it. Well, he played it for almost the whole practice session. At the end, when he handed it back he said "Damn nice bass, dude... you definitely got your money's worth".

If your wife is a small/medium sized gal, she'll probably find a short scale (30") bass to be more comfortable. The lower frets will be a little easier to reach, etc.

Rondo has several nice models of short scale basses.... I'd recommend you take a look at them. My experience with them was great... wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. Decent quality products for very low prices.

• Members

i'm sorry, did you say bass? bass is 5 floors down, i'm sure someone can help you there.

J/K yeah thats great, just what dave said, good luck and I hope it works out for the both of you. kudo's for having a wife who is at least willing to meet you in the middle, could be a very big step to bring you together more.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I will have her try some out. I will need to try it as well because if I get her one and she decides she doesn't want to play after a while, it will be mine! I don't know how to play bass, but I taught myself guitar, so I can teach myself bass.

Archived