Since they use bubinga for bodies, necks and fretboards. . .

Mercer

• Members

bwds_bubinga.jpgbwds_bubinga_telew.jpg Bubinga (Guibourtia demeusei):

A very strong stiff wood used primarily for bass necks and in laminations. Used by Rickenbacker for fretboards and Warwick for bodies. As a bass neck, it provides bright midrange and a thick well defined bottom. Bodies made form Bubinga will be very heavy but will sustain for days.

Tone-O-Meter

• Members

yea would a bubinga body make some sick tone but might just destroy your shoulder....alot of high end basses are bubinga right? of and TAMA has a starclassic bubinga omni tune kit that is all bubinga. the nerds over in the drum forum RAVE about them. they are BEAUTIFUL.

• Members

If you do a bubinga search here there are a couple of people who have make bodies out of it. Most definitely hollowed out probably. I have been saving a piece for many years, that originally was going to be 2 rifle stocks. It's definitely as heavy & hard as people claim it to be. Eventually I'll get to work on my slab, but it will have to hollowed out because I have no desire to be uncomfortable with a strap digging into my shoulder. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out of it's rough sawn state yet. No idea what's under it, but did look good wet After a little sanding. The more the figure, the more you will pay. Just like anything else.

• Members

I have never really liked the idea of making a whole guitar out of one solid piece of wood.

Sure, people have done it plenty of times. Sure some of them come out just fine, but in reality, the bigger a piece of wood is( as in WHOLE guitar size) the more tendency it has to move as a whole with changes in climate, i.e., moiture/humidity, and temp etc and the more potentially unstable it becomes..

Finding clear, straight grained nice looking pices of wood of most species big enough to yeild a stable chunk suitable for "carving" a whole guitar out of will be trouble enough, not to mention the tendency to want to also use a pretty figured wood of some type, like bubinga for your example, in such a project.

I mean, what would be the point, unles you were doing it specifically either just for the challenge, or the novelty?

I just dont see the risk of the thing twisting and moving, not only after constru8ction, but even during construction as being worth the trouble if you are expecting to end up with an actuall playable STABLE guitar that will not "adjust" itself back into an unplayable condition at some point.

I think it is mostly a novelty thing, and though they can be very cool and pretty to look at, I just wouldnt trust one personally.

Archived