Do non musicians care about how your amp looks?

Drew5887

• Members

Most people don't notice our amps...we both use Deluxe Reverbs and they're these little black things tucked in the back of the stage that people barely see.

Yeah, Marshall stacks look cool, but the first thing I think when I see someone using one is, "great, this guy is going to be way too loud for his space". Pain in the ass to move around, total overkill. Give me my subtle 1x12 or 2x12 combos any day of the week.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

99% of the time, a black amp that doesn't say "Marshall" on it isn't going to be noticed.

As someone above stated, Marshalls and Fenders get noticed, as they're somewhat iconic. Aside from that, a normal looking amp isn't going to really stand out.

However, odd color amps (Orange, Red, Blue, Purple, white, etc) will stand out to the crowd because it's different.

:thu:

• Members

I don't really think that the crowd notices what kind of amps you're using. I think that appropriate PA and stage setting have more of an impact on the audience than what name is printed on the front.

Same goes for guitars.

As long as the musicians are playing the right notes at the same time on the same song, and all start and stop together at the same, then no one's really going to care.

Besides, at the end of the night, it's great to be able to grab my 2x12 w/ one hand, my guitar case in the other, and my effects in a bag on my shoulder and be able to make one trip to the trailer. I see way too many kids struggling to load 4x12's over gravel parking lots...I was there at one time too, you know...but now I just laugh to myself. Suckers!

• Members

I can tell you this (and it's been proven by research): the only amp brand of which civilians have ever heard is Marshall, which has an iconographic significance which utterly transcends the muso community. All the others are simply a bunch of black or blond-tweed boxes, some of which have visible knobs on the front. Similarly, the only guitars recognisable to civis are the Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Strat; the only keyboard they can recognise is the Hammond organ, and drums are only identifiable if they have a brand name inscribed in a legible font on the bass drum head.

Nonplaying rock journos have also heard of the Fender Telecaster and the Vox AC30. They also just about know that there is a brand of acoustic guitar called Martin which is supposed to be quite good, and if they see a resonator they tend to use the terms 'National' and 'Dobro' quite interchangeably without quite knowing exactly what they mean.

And that, trust me, is IT. The rest only matters to us.

• Members

I can tell you this (and it's been proven by research): the only amp brand of which civilians have ever heard is Marshall, which has an iconographic significance which utterly transcends the muso community.

I agree with this, most people don't have a clue about amps.

I have an Orange amp and someone said to me that they didn't know that the mobile phone network also made amps.

Archived