What's the Downside to 12" Radius?

Eddie27

• Members

I've been looking at Strats. I currently play a Reverend 290, which is a 12" radius. I like it. I understand what radius is and that the downside to a smaller radius is that they're harder to bend and tend to fret out up the neck. I've got 2 questions:

1 - is there any downside to 12" necks? I know I like mine, but is there anything subjectively better about 9.5" or 7"?

2 - I played a Mayer Strat at a store and liked it but noticed that my ring finger would get pinched when doing a double bend. Doesn't happen on my Rev. The sales guy said that is a matter of setup not radius. I think that's BS, but anything to that?

• Members

Some of the Strats come with 12" Radius.
The Deluxe Players Strat definitely does.

Personally I don't like anything below 9.5.

Gibson's are typically a 12" radius.

And to answer your question, I can't think of any downside to 12" radius.

• Members

^^^ yes.

The shorter radius makes it easier to chord, but bends can be more difficult.

Yup. I've found for general major/minor/power rock chording and riffing even a really flat radius is no hindrance. But when I'm working with various inversions of 7th, 9th chords, etc (ie playing jazz) I can definitely tell where a rounde radius would be helpful for some of the more awkward positions, particular those involving barres. (my main guitars are 12" G&L and 16" Ibanez btw)

As far as feeling pinched, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but remember nut width (which is independent of radius) varies as well.

• Members

My Ibanez has a 12" radius and my Strat has a 9.5". Most of my playing is chording, and I definately find it to be more difficult on my Ibanez. It's not a big enough difference to prevent me from using the Ibanez, but I definately have to be a bit more precise when playing chords on the ibanez. I never really found the Strat to be more difficult to bend on, but I don't really bend a whole lot either.

• Members

My EJ has a flat board and it took me a few days to get used to it. Now, I really like it. Bar chords need a bit more attention but you get used to it pretty fast. When I switch to my Tele necked Fender 51s its so much fun, cause everything feels like I'm just fooling around instead of "playing".

OTOH my Brawley has a 12" radius combined with a wide neck. You can be real fast with that one but it takes some getting used to!

I'd say, have no fear.

Archived