So I just ordered a Dr. Z Air Brake...

sfla99

• Members

Hopefully this unit will work out well,

I am going to be using it with my Mesa Express 5:25 which is mainly for home use, but its such a loud little amp that even in 5w mode it too much for bedroom levels. I am basically looking to heat the tubes up and get some nice tube tone at lower volumes.

After much research, the consideration was either the THD or the Airbrake, I choose the Dr. Z for its simplified circuitry and the ability to move between various amps.

Any thoughts?

• Members

Wow. At that price, I think I would have just picked up a used tube amp more suited to bedroom volume levels. Something about an attenuated amp just sounds.... lacking (to my ears at least). Then again, I've never used an attenuator of that quality. I'm sure you are in love with that Mesa too. Let us know what you think of it when its your New Attenuator Day!

• Members

Well the the thoughts on the amp was that even though I have 5w on most of the time I always have the extra mode of 25w if I have a need.

With the attenuator I get the quality amplification and in 5w mode would not require much attenuation to drive the tubes while not giving much away in regards of tone since I wont have to attenuate all that much.

Cheers!

Archived