strange stain on highway one strat?

ace1979

• Members

Ok so i took out my highway one strat yesterday (daphene blue), and realized that there is a small area of "redish" discoloration along the top edge near where the strap attaches. I can't seem to figure out what it is, the guitar whne not in use is in the fender gig bag it came it, and it always had the black leather strap attached, so unless it is from the strap, but i have never seen this happen before. Any thoughts, and any ideas on how to get it off...wasn't sure what to try since the finish on the Highway 1's is a bit different. It doesn't wipe off with a little damp towel. any help would be great. thanks

• Members

i had stumbled upon something else on line referring to finish issues on this style of finish with certain rubber guitar stands...is it possible that me leaning my guitar (string and guiatar face against the amp) against my blues cube with tolex covering that it could have done something?

• Members

i had stumbled upon something else on line referring to finish issues on this style of finish with certain rubber guitar stands...is it possible that me leaning my guitar (string and guiatar face against the amp) against my blues cube with tolex covering that it could have done something?

thats very likely the cause. and you should also never use rubber padded stands with nitro finished guitars, make sure to use stands that are foam padded.

• Members

If the guitar is a used one (And even if it's not.) it could have picked up some discoloration from the strap.

Don't think for a minute, that because the strap is black that it cant transfer another color to the guitar... Black leather dyes usually contain some amounts of red dye.

What you might try is to put on some rubber gloves and then wet a small rag with a 50/50 mix of water and household bleach. Then, wipe the affected area with the bleach. It might take some time and several applications over a period of days, but if the stain isnt real deep and if it's bleachable, you can sometimes remove it.

As I said, I've had some success getting stains out but not 100% of the stains and not 100% of the time. I can also say that so far I havn't screwed anything up but I am taking no responsibility for your results. If you try my method, you are completely on you own. Got that?

I use a black leather strap and when I store my Nitro-finished Strat, I allways remove the strap, plus, I check for dye staining frequently. As you can imagine, once the stain is in the paint, it's very difficult to remove.

Archived