EFX?

gruvjack

• Members

I've been thinking of getting an effects box to use with my Rane MP44 mixer. What do you guys use? How are the Pioneer EFX500 and EFX1000? The Electrix MOFX looks pretty cool too, rackmountable with usable effects for me. I wonder what the sound quality is like. I can't get hold of one here to hear for myself. Any reviews, comments or thoughts?

V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Again, I've got a little first hand experience to offer here, followed up by a bunch of what probably boils down to gossip.

I've used the EFX-500, and to me the sound has pretty much been a one way ticket to digital crapland. The 1000 was supposed to be better, but I've heard it's not as much better as it claims to be. Never used the MOFX, but people speak highly of them for sound & function. Electrix made (makes?) some cool, high quality stuff. I had a couple EQ Killers that were a blast.

Bearing your listed concerns in mind, there's another direction you might want to consider. Effects units that were originally built for studio use have found their way into lots of high-end dj rigs because they meet all your listed demands nicely and then some. (rack-mount, chainable, clean sound, etc) Of course there are drawbacks, even besides being more expensive. Something not engineered for dj use will demand a little more input and know-how to get the sound you want at the time you want it, as well as require a little setup and programming before use.

Here are a couple noteworthy models, I'm sure there are many more.

TC Electronic M300

TC Electronic Fireworx

Yamaha SPX 990

Lexicon MX200

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by 6ftabovsealevel

Again, I've got a little first hand experience to offer here, followed up by a bunch of what probably boils down to gossip.

I've used the EFX-500, and to me the sound has pretty much been a one way ticket to digital crapland. The 1000 was supposed to be better, but I've heard it's not as much better as it claims to be. Never used the MOFX, but people speak highly of them for sound & function. Electrix made (makes?) some cool, high quality stuff. I had a couple EQ Killers that were a blast.

Bearing your listed concerns in mind, there's another direction you might want to consider. Effects units that were originally built for studio use have found their way into lots of high-end dj rigs because they meet all your listed demands nicely and then some. (rack-mount, chainable, clean sound, etc) Of course there are drawbacks, even besides being more expensive. Something not engineered for dj use will demand a little more input and know-how to get the sound you want at the time you want it, as well as require a little setup and programming before use.

Here are a couple noteworthy models, I'm sure there are many more.

TC Electronic M300

TC Electronic Fireworx

Yamaha SPX 990

Lexicon MX200

Those look nice but not really DJ friendly, so to speak. They don'y have tap and beat division functions that would make it easier to put out BPM oriented effects on the fly. I would defintely grab the TC for studio mangling. Still looking at Electrix for gigs though. Thanks.

V.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived