Two CD Decks and Mixer?

scarecrowbob

• Members

Hi, I don't post here often, but I've got a question.

I've got a new part time job where I asm working with grade school kids to make music.

The music lab has abelton and some mics and a PA; I can handle all that.

But it also has a couple of these:

Denon DNS1000

and a DJ mixer.

Now, I have a couple of real basic concepts down here; I figured out how to grab a loop after about a few seconds.

But since I can sample in my computer, I'm kind of left scratching my head about what else I could do with these.

Are there any resources about what I could do with them? Ther eseems to be a lot of lag in scratch, making it difficult to do effects like that, and it seems pretty hard to me to be able to pull back to a particular point.

I'll elt the kids play with em; maybe they can figure something interesing out.

But do you guys have any guidence?

Is it all about what you burn to the CDr, or is there some art to these I haven't yet discovered?

• Members

sell them and get some turntables and a vinyl control system if you want scratch effects. you need the 12" platter and little or no lag.

i've messed with them but found them to be stupid. they'd be useful i guess for somebody playing cds live and not doing much and you didn't have a computer. maybe its just because i'm so used to vinyl, but i find them useless. and if you're just playing cds, why not do it on a computer and use some kind of dj specific software (or abelton).

kids would think it was much cooler as well. some of the cheaper turntables are pretty good these days (just make sure they're direct drive and have a decent amount of torque). final scratch and abelton are like 500-600, but there are cheaper solutions. Dj Decks is cheaper software and then all you'd need is a low latency interface of some kind with the turntable pres, and a couple of the vinyl control records. M-Audio has a $300 vinyl control interface coming out that includes software. i think its going to be released soon. I've never used the Dj Decks software but many people say it works fine as long as you have a low latency interface.

• Members

Thanks for the advice; that seems to be a pretty solid answer.

But it's not my gear, and so I can't really sell it.

We do have abelton, and I have been haivng fun learning that; the tutorial in 5 about live DJing was really helpful here.

While I was looking for info, I came across this, which is a demo video for the produce and which kind of outlines what kinds of things it was designed to do:

http://denondj.com/videos/DN-S1000_demo.wmv

• 3 months later...

Archived