swapping EMG81 for an SD Invader ?

Vinchester

• Members

I've been using my Schecter Hellraiser (EMG81/85) for almost a year now, everything is cool. I use the neck emg85 for lead and clean stuffs. but I'm not really impressed with the 81 tho.

So I need an opinion on whether the SD Invader would be a better alternative for the bridge position? ofcause I'm using them for teh br00talz. And anyone has any experience on combining EMG85 and the Invader? is it better than 81/85 pair ? I actually play clean stuffs too so I also need my axe to perform that.

oh and I'm a big fan of Nile :p

• Members

Hey man, thought I'd give you my experience, not really any advice, because I believe a great tone is by preference, anyway... I own a Schecter Hellraiser myself, now the example I am going to give you doesnt involve this exact guitar, however the guitar in the example does have the exact same WOOD. I have an ESP EC-1000 Black Cherry, it is the same wood as the Schecter Hellraiser, it came with EMGS. I have a pair of Invaders in my Schecter Blackjack that sounded AMAZING, however, the Blackjack is a much lighter and brighter sounding wood compared to my ESP, and the Schecter that you own. I figured I would take a risk and have a paid of Invaders put in my ESP. They were very very, VERY dark sounding, not really muddy, but damn close... the neck pickup sounded good for solos with a good amount of distortion, but I believe (personally) that a Mohogany (spelling?) guitar is not a good match for Invader pickups. The only good thing about the Invaders is ease in which Pinch Harmonics can be produced. That's about all I have for you, granted I didnt actually put Invaders in my hellraiser, but I feel that my experience would be worth your consideration, my guess would be that Invaders would be very dark in you Hellraiser as well...seeing as how they are they same wood all the way around, even the same binding and Quilted Top. One other thing you might care to hear, I'm not sure what type of music you play, but if you own a Hellraiser I am just going to assume you play on the heavier side of things, that being said the pickups I have in my Hellraiser as we speak are a JB (Bridge) / '59 (Neck( combo and it sounds absolutely amazing. Killer distortion sounds, the neck pickup is fantastic for leads, and the clean sounds you can get out of that combination are fantastic. All things aside, like I said before, it's all what YOU like, I just thought you might be able to gain something from my experience with Invaders and Mohogany bodied guitars. Take it easy bro and good luck!

Archived