In buying used gear

nuke_diver

• Members

What is your rule of thumb for how much of a discount you look to get as compared to buying brand new?

I'm not talking about rare/unavailable items but something you could get easily new, say a used MIM strat vs a new one.

I'm thinking ~25% but I don't know that used music equipment market all that well and am trying to get a better handle on how to structure any bids on Fleabay...

I have pedal gas :eek:

• Members

I don't have any percentage rule, I look and see what the average going price is for used stuff, and the condition of the item. And of course, it can also depend on how much I want the item if I'm willing to go over the average and how much over I'm willing to go.

• Members

+1 on using eBay completed auctions to find out what the going price is used. In general, I look to pay 60% of retail at most. If I can't do that or better, I wait for a sale and buy one new.

Most of the guitars I have that were bought used were in the 50-60% range.

• Members

Right - if it is MINT I'd still need a 25% discount to make it worth chancing something used.

I usually look for a very good price when buying any gear, so 50% is my target, but condition and add ons (new pups, case, etc) can elevate the price.

Archived