Setting up guitars

GuitarHitman

• Members

Who here sets up their own guitars :confused:

I've always done it myself for the 8 years I've been playing. Intonation, truss rod, action... all from just from what I've learnt online. Only thing I've never attempted is fretwork and work on the nut.

Is paying for a pro setup really worth the money :confused: I've been tempted just to find out if the guitar will play any better than I've managed to get it playing. But for

• Members

Never had any serious problems with intonation. If I go up a gauge, I just hook up my tuner and play the 19th fret of the string I want to adjust and usually move the saddle back (loosening the string a little first :o) until the tuner shows the note played to be correct. Vice versa for going down a gauge.

• Members

I'm in the same place you are, Hitman, I do everything but fretwork and nuts. I've been doing it for my own guitars for a couple of years. I use Dan Erlewine's books as my base for information and technique. My guitars are all Strats with trems, so that makes it easier, one basic approach works for all.

I usually use the 12th fret when I do intonation, but the "money frets" for me are from 1 to 15 pretty much. If you do a lot of playing high on the neck, then the 19th fret is a better idea.

Roger

• Members
I'm in the same place you are, Hitman, I do everything but fretwork and nuts. I've been doing it for my own guitars for a couple of years. I use Dan Erlewine's books as my base for information and technique. My guitars are all Strats with trems, so that makes it easier, one basic approach works for all.

I usually use the 12th fret when I do intonation, but the "money frets" for me are from 1 to 15 pretty much. If you do a lot of playing high on the neck, then the 19th fret is a better idea.

Roger

I don't usually play much above the 15th fret either. I often use the 12th fret too but I've just heard a few guys say to use the 19th fret :o I haven't found a major difference either way :confused:

• Members

I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now, but only this year attempted to do any kind of work on guitars. I have no problem setting intonation, action. Never tried truss rod adjustments, or put in a new nut, and I failed epically trying to install pickups. So I generally take mine to the shop.

But if you have the experience, you know what you're doing, and in 8 years haven't run into any major problems, I say you should keep that up.

• Members

I bought a couple of budget guitars to learn setups and mods.
I'm now pretty comfortable working on nicer instruments. I've even done a few fret levels. Not really that hard it just takes patience and practice. It's great to be able to set a guitar up to your own preferences.

• Members

I'm not really an expert at setting up my guitars but I thought i would give it a go yesterday because my Les Paul had fairly bad fret buzz.

So I raised the action a bit and it made the buzzing a bit better but it still buzzes on the 1st 4 frets, does anyone have any ideas how to sort this or will I just have to live with it?

• Members

I do! I have been doing it for about two years since a buddy of mine showed me exactly what to do. Although, I can't help but feeling, "what if it can be set up better?" Since there's no pefect set up, I set up the guitar the manufactures recommend, then I adjust it to my liking. Then I have a couple of my buddies play it, and get their opinion.

It usually ends up working.

String_Action_Gauge_Detail.jpg

That has saved me a lot of money! :)

• Members
I do! I have been doing it for about two years since a buddy of mine showed me exactly what to do. Although, I can't help but feeling, "what if it can be set up better?" Since there's no pefect set up, I set up the guitar the manufactures recommend, then I adjust it to my liking. Then I have a couple of my buddies play it, and get their opinion.

It usually ends up working.

String_Action_Gauge_Detail.jpg

That has saved me a lot of money!
:)

:eek:

I should get me one of those.

I've got to say though that a Plek setup sounds interesting to me :love:

I remember a UK guitar magazine test driving it using a MIM Strat when it was first available over here and seemed to come highly recommended and did a good job. I should hope so for that sort of money :mad:

• Members

whenever i've payed someone to do the work it;s never right.therefore i do it myself and all is well

I pay to have this done. I spent about a year finding the right person, and when I believed I found the right person, it took about two iterations before getting things "perfect". But once you have that relationship, it is totally worth it to me.

I used to do it myself, but found myself tweaking all the time, and playing less.

• Members

It depends on the guitar. I can do a basic setup+intonation. As far as fretwork, nuts, brand new necks. No. I do wire in most of my pickups unless I'm already taking it in for other work. My tech is a great guy and does awesome work. Besides, it's a great excuse to play his Hamer custom shops and hand wired mesa boogies while I'm there. HEHE!!:lol:

• Members

If it involves screwdrivers, allen keys and ears, I do it myself.

If it involves drills, sandpaper or soldering, I delegate the task to a responsible adult.

I can drill and solder since I've been doing that all meh life. But this with truss rods, string heights and intonation, I haven't got that much experience with it and if I get it wrong the guitar is no joy to play, really.

• Members

If it involves screwdrivers, allen keys and ears, I do it myself.

If it involves drills, sandpaper or soldering, I delegate the task to a responsible adult.

my moto basically. i can do height and intonation. but basically major stuff its going to the shop.

Archived