Band Photography??

Watch_me_move

• Members
Wow the quality here is pretty depressing...

Eh, it's actually fine to me. But yeah, it's not pro level. I would call that "semi-pro" / "heavy hobbyist" level, somewhat beyond the typical point-and-shoot but not anywhere near what a full-timer can do. I don't know, can you get even $50 or $100 for that type of quality? If so, I'm available for hire. :p

There's actually a lot of semi-pro / hobbyist types that take photos for very low cost or possibly even free. Personally, I don't think many bands need anything beyond what this type of photographer can do. I don't have suggestions on where to meet them, unfortunately (except, perhaps, Flickr. :) )

• Members
We paid $1100 for a full day of shooting with a photographer in NYC who's worked with every band, celebrity, and political person you've heard of. After we weren't in love with any of them, I think we ended up taking our own with a really nice camera and got twice as many great ones for free. So, $250 to me doesn't sound too band, but knowing what I know I'd expect some really great pictures for $250. Also, don't ever drive 3 hours to go anywhere and pay anyone $1000 for pictures. Live and learn. Here are some lower-res examples:

Picture 1: $1100

street.jpg

Picture 2: Free

House.jpg

Wow $1100?! :eek: Sorry to say it man, but you guys were definitely gyped.

• Members

professional photographers don't make a living on $50 a shoot. (could you live off $50 a day?)

if you want a pro, expect to pay at least a couple hundred bucks ... but fully expect that what you get will look a hell of a lot like every other picture in their portfolio. every photographer tends to have a style ... if they have a killer portfolio, you're (probably) in luck. if their portfolio looks like a bunch of candids done with disposables (e.g., that flickr site above), then you might as well give a bunch of disposables to a bunch of high-school kids & tell 'em to go wild shooting you.

actually, that might even work. the infinite-monkeys approach.

Archived