NGD! My first strat, now help me out with it

Electric Monk

• Members

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm the proud owner of a 2008 Blackie.

Work in progress here, beauty shots later after I get it all strung up and tuned and pretty. (oh, and some tone and volume knobs - I took 'em off to get the pickguard film off cleanly)

20zvaf6.jpg

I wondered why it was strung at the factory with .09's - they're just stupidly light to me, so I strung it up with some .10's. Now what do I have to do with the tremolo cavity?

I know I have to increase the tension on the springs, but how much? And do I do that before or after I tune it to pitch?

• Members

Do it after you tune to pitch, or the bridge will remain flat against the body and you won't be able to see how your adjustments are actually effecting your setup. As for how much, you really have to tighten the springs and retune your guitar little by little until you've got it how you want it. there's just too many variables to account for with an accurate number of screw turns.

• Members

Tune to pitch, then tighten the claw in the cavity. Retune, check the height on the back of the trem. Some people like it tight against the body, some don't. 1/8" is the usual height for a "floating" trem. If you put it tight against the body you may have to adjust the action.

Archived