Vox vs. Orange vs. other???

2pacHendrix

• Members

Hey,

I am on the hunt for a new amp! I am about to sell my current amp for $450+ a few cd's :thu:

So I was wondering which amp I sould get. I have narrowed my choices to these;

1. Vox AC15

2. Orange Crush 30r or Orange Crush 15r

I was looking at the rivera pubster and clubster, but the price was :eek: I would have to sell one of my guitars for one. I don't know if it would be worth it.

So my main concern would be the clean channel. I want to know which one, in your opinions, had better clean channels. I played the vox ac15 at GC and plan on playing some orange amps at Guitar Source (local shop.) So i can't play them back to back, unless my local shop has them. I don't know if they do, I haven't been there in a while.

These videos basically made me choose between the two:

[YOUTUBE]s_v1B5Rvo80[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]g9cbIiamYtg[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, your opinions are welcome for another amp or a choice between the two.

Thanks,

Jacob

• Members

ew why would you get a Crush? Thats along the same lines as the Marshall MG series and Fender Frontman series

If i was looking in that price range and that sound, I would look into a Vox AC-15 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb/Vibrolux/Bassman, I also quite like the Marshall Bluesbreaker and 18 watt

Voxes and Marshalls, at least the early ones, were based off modified Fender Bassman circuits. They have a similar tone and very similar wiring they just use different tubes because you couldnt find 6L6s and 6V6 Tubes in England in the early 60s, only EL-84s and EL-34s

anywho, a Vox AC-15 would be a great choice

• Members

Ac15. you have the cleans, if you want dirt it takes pedals very well. but seriously, the Crush Series? might as well look into the Tiny Terror but your definitely not going to get the cleans although they are good enough for me. I tried both the AC15 and the TT and it was a close call but the TT won.

• Members

Ac15. you have the cleans, if you want dirt it takes pedals very well. but seriously, the Crush Series? might as well look into the Tiny Terror but your definitely not going to get the cleans although they are good enough for me. I tried both the AC15 and the TT and it was a close call but the TT won.

Thanks.

Do you have any idea how much money they are used?

I don't see any used on ebay with a BIN (You know live.com) I only see one $450, good deal?

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vox-Custom-AC15-Floor-Model-Sale-Brand-New-FREE-Ship_W0QQitemZ370111316157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

This one doesnt look bad, (disclaimer: i dont endorse it either :D) if not, just wait it out a bit. when i was looking at mine (in october) there were like 5 different ebay stores selling them at 599 BIN which is the retail price i believe.

Edit: i just read it again, and didnt realize it was a floor model. :facepalm: id wait and see if they have more later. retail is 599 so if your lucky anywhere around $400 i guess...

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vox-Custom-AC15-Floor-Model-Sale-Brand-New-FREE-Ship_W0QQitemZ370111316157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

This one doesnt look bad, (disclaimer: i dont endorse it either
:D
) if not, just wait it out a bit. when i was looking at mine (in october) there were like 5 different ebay stores selling them at 599 BIN which is the retail price i believe.

Edit: i just read it again, and didnt realize it was a floor model.
:facepalm:
id wait and see if they have more later. retail is 599 so if your lucky anywhere around $400 i guess...

This may be a stupid question, but what does a floor model mean? Is it like a Scratch 'n' Dent?

And with the live.com cashback that would be like $450. Pretty good deal, right?

• Members

This may be a stupid question, but what does a floor model mean? Is it like a Scratch 'n' Dent?

And with the live.com cashback that would be like $450. Pretty good deal, right?

450 is probably is not bad at all but you could probably find a new one (never been played) for the same 599 + your cashback. wait a few days. Floor model means that it was on display at some shop and so its "new" but probably has been played by people at the shop. however, a good thing about a floor model is that the speaker might be closer to being broken in. its up to you.

• Members

well I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, the blues junior's bigger brother

and I have an Orange AD-30

I like the Orange a lot better, the fender sounds like it has a towel over it in comparison

but it really nails that Strokes compressed tone

I also like how it has reverb and two channels

but I still like the Orange better. That being said, a combo is so much easier to lug around than a halfstack

• Members

I had an Orange Tiny Terror (I miss it ), until recently, and a Vox AC-15TB in the late 90s. For cleans, I'd definitely take the Vox over the Orange Crush, or even my Tiny Terror. I would expect the Orange Crush to sound a little brittle clean. For distortion - just use a stompbox with the AC-15.

Archived