Guitar shops - downtown Chicago

jedistar

• Members

While technically not in downtown Chicago, Chicago Music Exchange in the Lakeview neighborhood has the most amazing collection of guitars that I've ever seen and is a must see; Guitar Center in Lincoln Park; and N Avenue Guitars in Bucktown/Wicker Park (although I've never been to this store, it looks interesting).

Plus, you'll get an interesting tour of some of Chicago's neighborhoods.

Here's some links:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

http://www.avenuenguitars.com/index.html

• Members

While technically not in downtown Chicago, Chicago Music Exchange in the Lakeview neighborhood has the most amazing collection of guitars that I've ever seen and is a must see; Guitar Center in Lincoln Park; and N Avenue Guitars in Bucktown/Wicker Park (although I've never been to this store, it looks interesting).

Plus, you'll get an interesting tour of some of Chicago's neighborhoods.

Here's some links:

The Music Exchange will definitely be on my list - assuming public transport can get me there.

• Members

Despite the fact that Chicago is such a great music city, the guitar shops here are generally pretty poor.

Chicago Music Exchange is an incredible place to visit, but all of their used/vintage gear is way overpriced.

Avenue N guitars isn't all that great and the one time I was in there the guys were a-holes to me.

If you want to check out some crazy high-end gear and tons of boutique guitars and amps, you could head to Make 'n Music at 1455 W. Hubbard.

www.makenmusic.com

The Guitar Center on Halsted is pretty standard.

Midwest Buy and Sell is an interesting place for used gear, but it's pretty far out on Irving Park Rd. and would take forever to get to via public transportation.

Personally, I would just head to Chicago Music Exchange because it's definitely worth the trip, even if you don't end up buying anything.

• Members

I was up there on business in the spring for several weeks, and drove rather than flew so I could drive around and see the sights. Spent one free afternoon doing the guitars and cars tour. Make n Music is a small store, but full of absolutely top shelf stuff. Chicago Music Exchange was a jaw dropping experience (and I've been to Gruhn's) - big, nicely laid out, very friendly staff. I saw stuff in there that I've only seen in pictures or hadn't seen for years (remember the Fender Lead I from the early 80's? They had 2). Finished my day at Lake Forest Sports Cars in the northern suberbs. North America's largest indoor Ferrari showroom - 'nuff said.

• Members

Midwest Buy and Sell is an interesting place for used gear, but it's pretty far out on Irving Park Rd. and would take forever to get to via public transportation.

That's a great store, though it would be a haul from downtown.

I moved out of Chicago 5 years ago, but my store of choice was Musician's Network in Andersonville (on Clark?). It had realistically-priced, "players" instruments and I bought several guitars there. Down to earth place with good people and reasonable prices. Not sure if they're still in business...

• Members
Is the Music Exchange all Fender, Gibson??

For my site I am paricularly interested in visting a store with older stuff like Kay, Harmony, Oscar Schmidt etc...I am hoping to get permission to take photos of headstocks and labels to fill out gaps in the collection
www.jedistar.com

You won't find many older "cheap" guitars there. It's mostly vintage Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Martin, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok - well my Chicago trip is almost over and I visited Chicago Music Exchange which was awesome as described. I was able to take some photos of some rare amps and guitars, but as advised this is a temple to Fender and Gibson. Certainly the most incredible collection I have ever seen.

I also visited Guitar Center - and for someone from Australia this is always a pretty amazing experience. What is normal for USA is very special for us. This is where I spent some money and picked up Christmas gifts for my son and I. An MXR Distortion for $29 is amazing.

The piece de resistance,however, was an accidental walk past an antique music shop called Sherry-Brener Ltd. I met Mr James Sherry who kindly spoke to me of his experiences as a guitar importer for many decades, including a seller of Ramirez guitars to Segovia. This was an experience I will cherish forever, with my only regret forgetting to bring a recorder to record the wealth of information he passed on.

In closing Chigago is a beautiful city and Chicago Music Exchange is heaven for the classic American guitar and Sherry-Brener is a must visit for the classical/flamenco guitarist.

• Members
Glad it worked out for you and you enjoyed Chicago Music Exchange! You did manage to come at a pretty cold time though.
:D
This morning was quite painful as I went out to start my car.

Yes the weather is amazing. At home at the moment it is over 30 deg C which is probably in the 80-90s your speak...:thu:

Archived