Could my bridge be rattling, Shall I replace it?

rawk100

• Members

My '79 Les Paul sometimes buzzes/rattles when I hit an open string, it could be any string. Sometimes its OK. It has been recently set up and I'm using regular 10's in a standard tuning. It will also buzz slightly when fretting on some of the top frets but I can live with that. The action is quite low.

Obviously I'm experiencing some fret buzz but I'm wondering if my bridge is vibrating slighting, has anybody experience this? I know its under tension from the strings but I'm wondering if it can still move.

Should I replace the tunamatic bridge and tail piece anyway cause they're nearly 30 years old? Whaddaya think?....

• Members

Its difficult to see on the open string, it could be the frets but I'm not sure. I raised the action slightly but it didnt make much difference. I suppose I could raise it really high to see if that solves anything but I don't want a high action. The guitar was recently set up so the frets should be level. I'm trying to find out if buzzing could be caused by anything other than the frets.....

• Members

Thanks for that...

It seems that its got the correct relief which is good. I tried something else....

I play an open bottom E and I can hear a rattle, when I look down the side of the neck the string doesnt seem to be buzzing against any frets. When I fret the bottom E on any of the first 3 frets I can still hear a rattle. If I push down on the angled bit of string between my bridge and tail peice then the rattle stops! Is that my tunematic bridge rattling?........ I'm confused!...

Archived