Teles with 3 pickup, SHS configuration

StratoSlacker

• Members

I've seen Teles with the classic 2 single coil configuration, the single in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck, the strat pickup between the other two single coils, 2 humbuckers, P90s, etc.

What I haven't seen is a Tele with the two Tele single coils and a humbucker in between. Has anyone run into one of these? I've never seen one.

I love the sound of the single coil bridge and neck pickups on together on a Tele...so replacing one of them with a humbucker doesn't seem right for me. I'm not all that interested in a strat pickup on a Tele as I have strats to do strat sounds.

I also like a humbucker sound on a Tele however...so why not slap one in between the two single coils and get the best of both worlds? I'm surprised this isn't a more popular configuration. Or is there some factor that renders this a bad idea?

Maybe I need to commission Atrox?

• Members

I thought about this also. I like the single coil sounds but would like a humbucker in there also so I'm putting a set of 'Lil Punchers in a project with coil splits. That was I can keep the classic look of the tele and have the single and humbucker options.

• Members

Actually, if you're going to put a full-size humbucker in a Tele, the "middle" is a better placement for it than the "neck". Much better definition there and it won't get too boomy.

Brent Mason uses a stacked humbucker in the middle, and his is pretty much the "Swiss Army Knife" of Teles.

Archived