Thinking of replacing tubes - need advice

Spacetrucker

• Members

Recently I've noticed my Fender Super 60 hasn't been sounding as warm and bright as it used to and I'm thinking I need to change the tubes. I've had it 5 years and haven't changed them once in that time, although generally I've just been playing at 'bedroom' volume. It was used when I got it too so I really don't know how long the current tubes have been on. To be honest I don't really know where to start in finding out what are the best tubes to get and where to get them etc. I don't even know what kind of tubes are currently on it. Serves me right for being lazy with this amp I guess :o

If you guys could give some advice on what kind of tubes to get and where I should get them it would be much appreciated. Also how often do you think I should change the tubes? I've only noticed a slight difference in the sound recently after 5 years but I'd like to keep the amp in top shape as I record with it etc. Many thanks. :)

• Members

look up some info on your amp and find out exactly what tubes you need...power, pre, ect.

then you will be in a better position to figure out which tubes with-in those types fit your needs best at the price you want to pay.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

look up some info on your amp and find out exactly what tubes you need...power, pre, ect.

then you will be in a better position to figure out which tubes with-in those types fit your needs best at the price you want to pay.

I've had a little look already, but finding info on the Super 60 isn't easy as it isn't available these days, apart from used. I'll try and look more extensively though but if any of you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by Humbucker25

I've had a little look already, but finding info on the Super 60 isn't easy as it isn't available these days, apart from used. I'll try and look more extensively though but if any of you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/super_60.html

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ffg.html

12AT7 for the phase inverter

(2) - 12AX7 for the preamp

(2) - 6L6GC for the power amp

• Members

I've been really happy with EH 12AX7s for preamp tubes and I'm using Sovtek 6L6s for power tubes in my Rectoverb. No complaints with either. Your 12AT7 just needs to be balanced (same gain on both "sides" of the tube) and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

• Members

Thw Winged Cs and JJ 6L6s seem to be the preferred power tubes these days. I like my Winged Cs personally. TAD is copying GEs and RCAs these days, and GT copies the GEs also, but they're kinda pricy.

Those EHs 12ax7s are good, I agree.

BTW I like those Super 60s. Underrated IMO.

• 3 years later...

Archived